fieldys famous clicking sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slapa_that_bass, May 20, 2001.

1. what would be the best amp to get sound of the clicking from fieldy, and what would u set the at settings on the amp
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It slices, it dices, it makes all your basses click!

Buy it now for just 49.95 from

Bob's kitchen bass amps.

Call 1-800-click-bass

Operators are standing by!
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I highly recommend the London Power Spectrum 700W amp. For further information and pricing visit
  4. staind_korn

Apr 22, 2001
    if you dont want to buy a new amp, Ibanez came out with a pedal, the Phat-Hed Overdrive, that has a mode on it that makes the clicking noises that fieldy has. to get this settiung, use clean mode, and number 2 on attack switch.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Overdrive doesn't give any clicking sounds, and no pedal will do it.
  6. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    phat hed pedal has clean settings to angus.
  7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

What? When did I talk about it not having clean settings? When did I even mention the effect?
  8. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    It's most likely not the amp. You can just lower your string action and make sure your tone is up if you want the clicking sound...

my opinion - I do whatever i can to NOT have that clicking sound :)
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    try to slap without knowing how or listening to anyone who can actually do it.

just beat your hand against the b string senslessly.

and don't worry about notes...just hit that low open one! then slam down with your left hand on one of those fret thingy's and away you go.

look, you too can sound just like fieldy!

10. again another Fieldys Tone thread were every one misses the inportance of the brand of sneakers he wears.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    it´s all in the shoes!

...and the Fubu wear!

...and the girlie pony tails!!!! :D
  12. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000

Come on, Fieldy's playing, band, tone, gear, and trainers have all been flooged to death on this forum many times before. Please, no more.

To answer the original question, I'd go with Oysterman regarding the amp. You should "scoop" the EQ - that is, turn up the bass and treble, and put the mids right down. If you have an amp with a graphic EQ, then you should ned uo with a nice smily face, like this :). Sort of.
  13. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    What helps to to bring out clicking sounds is a cab with a tweeter.
  14. get a cab with a tweeter.. make sure you have lots of amp headroom (wattage)..

boost highs and lows.. cut the mids

lower your action.. detune the strings...

(if playing with a PA.. stick a mic right in that tweeter)

there you have it.. you are now ready to produce what is in my opinion.. the most horrible bass sound ever!
  15. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    make sure you play hard enuf that the strings touch the pickups. that'll give you the clicking sound.
  16. no offense but why would anyone with any talent at all want to play like fieldy?? i give up!! i know what sucks sounds like.....
  17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Or you could just buy some guitar strings, and only use the E A D G strings, and then take you action as low as you think it possibly can, then lower it about 2 full rotations more. Now you're ready. Take your thumb and beat it against the strings, it will produce you the "uber fieldy" sound.
    Remember to keep all your highs on, your amp settings like "/". (no bass, a little mids, and all highs)

You too can now create your own ass-bass sound. ;) ;) ;)
  18. Fieldy uses a Mesa 400+ head and that's where I believe he get part of that clicking sound (heavily scooped mids). He also has basically no action. His strings are right next to the fretboard, which initiates his clicky-ness. But then again, who wants to sound like that?
  19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually no, his tone comes from all bass and treble with NO mids. He mikes the tweeter on his cabinets for the clicky sounds.
  20. actuly he uses a mesa m-2000©but that doesnt matter© it all sounds like crap© If you wanna try everything he does© buy a bunch of syb-3's, cause he uses about 11, with different settings© Also, he's got a voodoo lab tremolo pedal, and a boss hyper distortion© he's got a huges' and kettner ¥sp?¤ backstage, while playing live, which has the miked tweeter© on stage, he's got some di's, and he used to use some sans amp pedal, which was most likely the sansamp classic©

dont ask why i know all of this©