Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fieldy's sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by __Syxx__, Nov 14, 2000.

1. __Syxx__

__Syxx__ Guest

Nov 14, 2000
    brisbane australia
    Does anyone know how Fieldy ffrom Korn gets that rattle kinda sound??

2. It was something like his strings hitting his frets.

3. outofthere

outofthere

Oct 18, 2000
    Though this question has been answered a million times here I'll give you the lowdown.

He 'turns the midrange down', probably turns the treble up a fair bit and mic's his horns in his cab so that the click that comes with slapping his bass is further accentuated back into the loop.

By turning up and down either he uses the 3-band EQ onboard on his bass or he uses an equalizer. The most important part of the sound is the mic'ing of the horn though.

4. outofthere

outofthere

Oct 18, 2000
    Infact, he gets the clicking even when he's not slapping. This I discovered after watching a few video's of korn sets so he probably isn't slapping as often as everybody thinks he is.

5. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Fieldy has a sound????!!! :D

But, honestly, I think all he does is putting strings really low and lots of treble

6. outofthere

outofthere

Oct 18, 2000
    ahh yes

A fieldy related thread wouldn't be one without the customary bagging of him.

he does seem to have a lot of control over the rattle though.. makes it sound like there's a rhythm.

7. Are you talking about that clicking that I almost returned a cabinet because of? I really didn't know that was intentional.....wow!!!! I must be better than I thought....

......if you groove it, they will come.....

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, it does matter that hes slapping, because this makes fret noise, and it being higher pitched (well, you know what i mean), it is transferred via the horn. So when hes playing fingerstyle, there is less clicking, but still some. The miking of the horn is the big thing here.

And Fieldy still sucks. :D

9. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    I read somewhere (totally unintentionally) that he uses lots of 10" cabs with horns. And he has his strings real low and lots of treble, and no midrange.

That way, when he uses fingerstyle, the bass comes throught better. And when he slaps it makes a f*****g annoying sound

FIELDY INDEED SUCKS :)

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, but the reason you HEAR that is because of the miked tweeters.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, fieldy isn't really that bad a player. in fact, he is very tight with their drummer, both on record and live. now, you wanna hear someone doing almost the same exact thing as fieldy, but not tight at all with the drummer, listen to coal chamber. i won't say anything about sucking - ;) - but you can tell the difference between them and korn just by the difference in bass-drums tightness. sounds like the difference between an elementary school orchestra and the new york philharmonic.

JiJ likes this.
  12. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Yeah, sure. He's very tight with the drums. It's not completely difficult when you ignore all sense of melody......

13. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Highs all the way up, lows all the way up, tweeters and horns. He has said before that he doesn't always record with SDGR's. He said that he just plays them live because they look cool and they fit his "outfit". Now, I agree with John T. about the whole sucking thing but that is because I am a fan of Korn. He does change between slapping and finger style a lot on most songs. The song "Reclaim my Place" is a bitch to play in my opinion. And "Ass Itch".. that one hurts my wrist everytime. laters

PS= this thread is not suppose to be about his level of skill and its not a Feildy bash thread either. Just answer the dude's question you guys, ok?

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, the question was answered long before you came, and there wasnt any "Fieldy" bashing.

15. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    I wasn't exactly 'bashing' him as you would say. I was stating that he is very rhythmic but has no melodic sense.

It's true I don't like what he does and how he plays, but that's my personal and human opinion and views.

16. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i dont like fieldy at all either, but you gotta admit, he gets a pretty bad wrap around here, rare is the person that compliments him on his playing. if one of my inspirations or favorite players was talked about on here the same way fieldy gets talked about, id get pretty tired of it after a while.

17. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    ok. enough already. how many more months do we have to endure? wait a minute, what the hell do i care? haha, i dont. do what you want. later.

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :confused:

Enough already? What the hell are you talking about? Nobody bashed him here. But whatever. :rolleyes:

19. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    even if no one bashed him here in this particular thread, he does get bashed a substantial amount in other threads. i totally dont like him either, but it does get kind of old hearing about how badly he sucks and everything. i can see how a fan of fieldy would get offended or defensive after reading about how crappy his skills are all the time.