Fifth Gear vs Grizzly for Desert Rock

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Maxfenderbass, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Fifth Gear

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Grizzly

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Currently own a Fifth Gear and love it, but I want to know if it is worth upgrading to the grizzly for style of tone from Mexicola by Queens of the Stone Age.

To me these are really the only pedals out their that nail the tone, other than cranking my SVT up.

Live rig is P Bass and Mesa Subway D800 and 215

JulienP. likes this.
  2. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Look at it this way.

Grizzly gives you the option to get really distorted, but that's not what you're after since that's moderate tubey breakup in Mexicola. You're really using the basic OD sound of the Grizzly mixed with the clean signal knob, so the I think you have more control over the character of the drive with the FG V2 using the heat & gain in conjunction. The Grizzly has more EQ options, but I don't think they are really designed to get you closer to that sound - it's a high cut knob & a knob that takes you from flat to scooped tone. I would stick with the FG and bump the heat to get some of that saggy sound, and then use the gain to get you the breakup & slightly metallic crunch.

JulienP. likes this.
  3. Thanks that helps a lot! I have found that the heat knob can make the clarity of notes on the E string past the fifth fret a little dead sounding, so my current controls are with the gain up higher and the heat barely on.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  4. Nope. The Grizzly isn't an upgrade. Stick with the Fifth Gear.

JulienP. and Maxfenderbass like this.
  5. I prefer Dessert Rock with Blue Bell. My favorite grunt maker is a Fuzzrocious BDPG V1 or V2.

JulienP. and Maxfenderbass like this.

6. crank up your V4 instead. :)

zapped777 and JulienP. like this.
  7. I don't have a v4, I have a SVT-VR and a D800. I crank up the VR in the studio, but I mean that shakes all of Canada

JulienP. likes this.
  8. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Either stick with the fifth gear or add a Broughton SV-pre

JulienP. likes this.
  9. hmmm, do you have much experience with the SV-Pre? not too much on it other than it emulates the front end of an svt.

10. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    When I listen to that QOTSA album, I always think the bass sound would get close using a blueberry pedal.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    JulienP. and bassboysam like this.
  11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    The Grizzly is one of the most disappointing pedals I've tried. If you want cranked SVT, have you tried the VT Bass or the recent Zoom units (B3n or B1 Four)?

Also, if the V4 is too loud cranked, there's always the PF-50T!

JulienP. likes this.
  12. RiffwRiter

RiffwRiter

Aug 23, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Would you mind telling us more why you found the Grizzly disappointing? I have one but haven't been able to dial in a tone I love. It's supposed to be transparent, but I find it muddy. I think it is less transparent than my Sansamp BDDI. Maybe its me though, and I haven't found the right settings. I want a tubey overdrive. I have other pedals for fuzz and distortion, but I always like versatility so I thought the range of overdrive and distortion the Grizzly offered would be a bonus if it nailed the o/d I am looking for. Lacking overall so far for me.

13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I just couldn't get a pleasing 'vintage Motown warmth' sound, nor 'agressive modern growl' sound out of it, it just sounded more like the clipping you get when you overdrive something that's not designed to be overdriven, like the input of a mixing desk. Just a bit buzzy and not very tubey.

If you're finding it muddy and more coloured than a BDDI though, I would check your EQ settings on the pedal, start off with the hi-cut and midscoop knobs turned all the way up for a transparent starting point!

RiffwRiter and JulienP. like this.
  14. RiffwRiter

RiffwRiter

Aug 23, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks. I think I have had the mid-scoop and hi-cut filter turned all the way up so they are flat, but I'll check tonight and see if I have them turned the wrong way.

15. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Would have thought the Blueberry as well or a Tech 21 VT. Just turn the gain up on your SVT!

filler83 likes this.
  16. No Gain, It's a VR

17. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Volume then! :bassist:

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021