1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FIFTIES KAY HOLLOW BASS GUITAR HOWLIN WOLF

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by musicofanatic, Mar 24, 2009.

1. musicofanatic

musicofanatic

Jun 21, 2005
    KAY3. Kay model K5965 Hollowbody bass guitar, from the fifties, I presume. The “Sheryl Crow Bass(?!)”, formerly the “Howlin’ Wolf Bass”. Same body and (one) p.u. as the Kay “Thin Twin” gtr, with a neck that feels inarguably similar to that of a Kay upright. Flat top, arched back, sunburst finish, nice flamed maple throughout. Original electronics function fully. Thick brazilian rosewood fingerboard, frets in good shape. Action is 5/32" at the fifteenth fret. It would definately benefit from a neck reset, but, for my purposes (no Jaco), is extremely playable as is. A "no-issues" example of this model recently sold on ebay for over $2500. My bass plus the cost of a neck reset will be well under $2500. Tortoise-oid headstock overlay with Kay logo, white plastic p.u. surround and control plate. Nice crunchy dent at the bottom edge on the back. Assorted nicks, abrasions, and contusions. Two holes, on the side near the neck joint, where some dimwit’s attempt at anchoring a strap button went wrong…twice!! I had one professionally installed in the neck heel. Ancient black nylon-wound strings add to desired dead-ass thump. Properly manipulated, it performs a convincing imitation of an upright bass if desired. Gig bag. $1,100 plus shipping or best, respectfully submitted, reasonable offer. No trades, please.