1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fifty dollar bass has me flustered

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DerTeufel, Oct 29, 2013.

1. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I've been playing for almost 4 years. I started with one of those Squier Affinity P-bass starter packs, bought a used Schecter Stiletto 4 months later. A year later that I bought an ESP LTD 5 string, and 4 months later I bought a SBMM Ray35. The SBMM became my main bass and I've been playing and gigging it for for a year and a half. I was happy with it..or so I thought. I sold the Squier P-bass after I had been playing for 6 months, and last weekend, I bought a Squier P-bass special on a whim for $50 bucks. Up until that time, I was sold on the stingray tone..that changed after I brought that Squier home, set it up, and plugged it into the GK MB Fusion and a Seismic Audio 215. Here's a recording that I did to A/B the SBMM and the Squier - https://soundcloud.com/aaronfowler-1/bass-a-b-comparison

Looks like the Squier is gonna get a lot of play time. Just need to figure out where the SBMM fits into the picture :bag:

2. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I fell in love with stingrays and had a 4 and 5 but found my passive jazz and ric just sounded better in the mix for the bands I'm in and what I play. YMMV

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Nice clip...I take it that you like the squire bass more than the stingray. I own a schecter stiletto myself. I like this bass for it's smooth curvacious design and it's versatility. I also like Ibanez soundgear basses for it's smooth punchy sounds. I'm guessing you have found what is the right bass for you. if you like the sound of the bass, keep it.

4. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I thought the Squier sounded better for the the finger style boogie, but for the more aggressive rock style, I liked the bite of the Ray.

Sorry dude, you have to keep both! :D

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    That's great! You got a great deal on that bass- you got to love it when that kind of a purchase falls on your lap and surprises the heck out of you.
    Had something similar happen- I bought a Mr. Potato bass (lol) on CL for $60 including a hard case and that thing plays awesome and was a heck of a surprise.
    Congrats on your new main bass.

6. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I like the tone of the Squier more..it just sounds so darned good. The 'ray took me some time to find out what works, but it sure doesn't work for a lot of the songs that we do.

7. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I'm sure you were able to tell which was which, but here is what was played where -

SBMM, then the Squier, then back the SBMM

I dig the 'ray too much to sell, to be honest.

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    TB rule: You can never own too many basses!

So Derteufel discovered that Rays and p-basses are BOTH cool instruments. Duh! And they aren't like each other either! Two different concepts and sounds. Bottom line you pick the one that fits the music. You can't just pick one and sell the other unless your musical interests don't have enough range that one bass sound is enough for you. Hey I've got both (sort of... Ray is an OLP and P-bass is Squire P/J 5er) and both do great jobs where what they have to offer is a perfect fit to the situation.

9. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    They both sound nice and you should keep them both for different things, great deal on the $50 Squier! Now spend the money and have it setup(heard some buzzing just after 2 minute mark) and you'll have two killer basses for anything the music world can throw at you. It's always nice to have something different to offer, especially when it didn't cost you much!

10. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    Thank you for that. I do want to find a P/J 5'er now, though.

11. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I gigged the Squier this past Friday. I used a GK MB Fusion 500 and a Seismic Audio 210. I set the eq on the GK with the gain at 10 o'clock, master at noon, limiter on, and bass-low mid-hi mid-treble all at noon. Tone knob on the bass was wide open and only used the neck p/u the whole night.

I fear that the 'Ray won't ever see the light of day again.

I got a nice full, warm, round tone that was so pleasing to my ears and sat in the mix so nicely that I found myself being distracted by how good we were sounding.

12. Xenos

Xenos

Nov 2, 2013
    You'll find yourself going back to the 'Ray for various bits and bobs, trust me. I thought when I got my RG350DX my ICX120 would take a back seat... NOPE! Hell, I still break out my $50 Lyon Strat copy from time to time. It just depends on what needs to be done.

I know those are all guitars I listed, but that's just because I really only have two choices on bass, my P-Bass, or my fretless. Just got my Rogue 5 String back, but it is a crappy playing bass if ever there was one, and my GTX is in pieces.

But again, it all depends on what you need to do.

13. DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    That is true. I'm tempted to upgrade the p/u on the 'ray.

14. Xenos

Xenos

Nov 2, 2013
    Always an option. Go with DiMarzio of you do!