FIG asks Hamm to give back gold.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The IOC has sent Hamm, the male gymnast, a letter asking him to give back his gold medal. The USOC has responded, in so many words of course, for them to screw themselves. Enough of this whining. When they decide to give Roy Jones, Evander Holyfield, and the 1972 US basketball their gold medals, then we'll talk. BTW, I find it funny that the Koreans are b*tching about this, when it was a Korean judge that screwed Roy Jones. Karma's a b*itch, ain't it? I also find it funny that when the US gets screwed in these games, the world community says, "Well, that's the nature of international competition. Get over it!", but when the US benefits from a scandal, everyone wants us to "do the right thing". :rollno:
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    For the Men's All-Around? I don't think he deserved the gold -- on his landing for the pommel horse, he careened right into the judges' table! But it's not only not fair to NOW ask him to give back the medal so long after winning it, but it's also not fair to ask him to give it back at all. He totally rebounded and did amazing on the other events in the competition. If the judges felt that was sufficient, that seems like it should be the final ruling.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It was the FIG (gymnastics federation), not the IOC, that sent that letter. has new details just posted as I write this. The head of the IOC was on NBC late last night, saying the results will stand, period. Another judging problem surfaced in the Korean routine, seen in replay,which would have left him further behind Hamm, but it appears to be moot now anyway. A fine mess, this is.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Thanks for the correction.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Might as well vilify the correct scoundrels, eh? The IOC has enough to answer for at the moment. Not to mention the behavior of some of the crowds, sheesh!
  6. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    They should seriously get off his ass about this. He deserved the gold period.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This is a two way street I think. I heard an announcer say the other day that after scrutinizing the video they also found mistakes that should have cost the Korean 2/10's of a point that were not counted. If that's true then it all evens out IMO. Taking the medal back would be a bad standard to set.

brad cook
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I see the judges being very hard on Hamm in any future meets.

...maybe he woulda been better served in the long run by at least making a token offer to the Korean?
  9. Sorry Jim - as in other areas of conflict, appeasement never works.

See my sig...
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    But, why is it Hamm's job to make it all better? :confused:

Mistakes happen in organized sports. Period.

There was a time/place for the coach to make a protest. He didn't. Regardless of what he was TOLD, the rulebook said the correct thing. He didn't do it. Oops. Too bad.

If a precedent is set where every competition was open for review and revision AFTER IT ENDED, there would be nothing left. I can name 50 times a ref/judge/umpire screwed up. In the NFL, a team can appeal a decision after a game has ended, but guess what--it doesn't change the score on the field, or in the books.

Sometimes, life simply isn't fair.

Is it fair when one runner falls, and knocks another one over? Nope. Do they rerun the race? Nope.

Is it fair when a car spins out of control and ends the race for 15 guys? Nope. Does it change anything? Nope.

Maybe it's just because they are reporting more of it, but this has been the WHINIEST games I can remember in recent history...
  11. the USOC suggested sharing the gold -- Hamm gets gold, as does Jae. i guess no one really wanted that solution, though.

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I TB too much, nowadays... I thought it had to do with Figjam and Hambone :eek: :eyebrow: :D
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hambone would have no problem sharing. Just don't try to take the man's snakewine. :D
  14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    What does it matter anyway? It is only gymnastics. :D

Seriously though, I've seen this **** even at low levels like the swim league that my kids belong to. People always gripe about the officials and someone always tries to "fix" things after everything is over and done with. I'm sorry, but when a sport is subject to human judging, errors will be made. So, we need to learn to live with it and move on.
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Geez...I gotta be the most 'quoted' guy in TB history after this thread.

Hammy, I'm definitely not pro-appeasement. Take no prisoners.

True, mistakes happen in other sports; Hamm's sport is very subjective. Knowing what little I know about such subjective sports...the judges have the power. I predict Hamm getting screwed on his scores the rest of his career.

Sharing the Gold seemed to be the easy answer. Too bad it won't happen(I guess).
  16. If the judges give him a gold medal, they cant just ask for it back...that is lame with a capital L. I can't believe this bull****.
  17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Me too. LOL :)
  18. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I think that the awarding of medals should be changed in future Olympic games.

The competition should be held in the same fashion as it is now and judged the same way too. But no medals should be awarded and no winner declared at that time. After 60-90 days when everyone imaginable has had a chance to review the judges comment sheets and the video replays of every competitor's event should a winner be declared and a medal awarded. Not only would this help to keep things "fair", but it would also give the television networks a way to extend their coverage even farther. It sure would be boring though. :meh:

Or maybe things should just stay the way they are, coaches and athletes should just quit whining when they fail to file a protest within set time limits and have the winners declared and the medals awarded right after the events. :hyper:
  19. plus one, yo. :D
  20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

They have just done this to one of our Olympic winner and they intend to do to another gold and a silver medallist
    :spit: :spit: :spit:
    :mad: :mad: :mad: