Figgeh got his first job

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Alright well here's the lowdown on fig.

Im 16.5 (mm decimals) years old (the half makes me feel cooler), never had a job before. Made money solely by mowing lawn and that wasnt much. So theres this company in a warehouse near me that makes lighting for stages and stuff, my brother has been working there for 3 years and he now is an engineer for them (and he is only 18). I figured i dont want to work at a fast food place or some other cliche'd teenager job where ill make minimum wage, not really get any significant raises or promotions ever since they could just fire me and get someone else. So my brother suggested i work at his place, Lighting & Electronics Inc. I would be working in Assembly, putting together lighting equipment. I figured thats pretty cool since i want to be a mechanical engineer, itll look truckloads better on future resumees etc, so i said sure and he asked the VP if they needed anyone and he said yes, today i went in for an interview and i start friday. Ill be working 8:30 - 5:00 (full day, not bad for a 16 year old).

EDIT: So yea i should probably just say, if anyone has any words of congrats or any advice for the working world, go ahead, and no i dont have to cut my hair to work here;)

The main reason ive been dying to get a job is so i can pay for expenses, bass strings, cell phone, gas, car insurance, buy the girlfriend more pretty things , heh.

I think a new car is the biggest thing. Currently im driving in a 1987 toyota corolla and lets just leave it at that,i mean the thing is older than i am. I want a volkswagen GTI (used, of course) if anyone that is into cars has any other suggestions for good used hatchbacks to look for im all ears.
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Sounds like you're pretty excited, eh?
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its one of the first important steps towards me becoming more independent and responsible.
  4. good luck man. i wish i had a gti too... they are cool as hell.
  5. Congrats man! Jobs are fun. I actually just got my first job this summer as well. I'm an intern at the NRSC. No money, but invaluable experience.
  6. I got my first job when I was seventeen (well, I was interviewed two days before my birthday, but I digress...). It was about as stereotypical as you can get. Not only was it fast food, but it was McD's. While I wasn't hired in at minimum wage, it was pretty damn close. Yeah, some of the customers were idiots, some were also fairly cool. Most of my coworkers were also pretty decent people, as were most of the managers, actually (although they didn't get paid much more than I did :eek: ).
    I had some really good times there, and also some quite crappy ones, but I learned a lot about business and such, and about independence and what working really means. So, in the end, it was still fun.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

8. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Nice going on gettin the first job. Sounds like a cool place to work too! My first job was a True Value hardware store in town here, (actually it's an Ace now so everything's way more $$$) but it was cool. I learned a whole lot about customer service and even the inner workings of small business. I'd say that's were I picked up most of my work related skills, all from that first job. Plus I got to bring in my paintball guns and shoot paint at the trashcans outside. :D Occassionaly we'd get some dry ice in and I'd show the owners kids how to make "fireworks" out of a 1 liter bottle, dry ice and some water. Yeah lots of memories from that first job.....

Have fun!

Oog :)
  9. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've got a friend that works in assembly as well. He builds giant electronic parts. Things like resistors and capacitors. Most of his co-workers are middle age guys.

He works 12 to 16 hours a day, and 7 days a week.
  10. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Working's for suckers.. That's why I quit my job.

Now I need money :(
  11. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Nice going Figjam.

I know the feeling, I just found out today im working here: Beamish Museum I cant wait, I get to dress up and talk to strangers!

(And theres no erotic dancing involved) :D
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well i actually went in to work today, instead of tomorow, they wanted me in today so i came in a few hours late because i had my math exam and worked 11-5. Basically today i worked all day on assembling 4.5" Fresnel lights. I got myriad tiny cuts on my hand from all the metal, but thats because im clumsy. My legs are soar from being on my feet all day and my right bicep is a little as well from holding my new best friend all day (craftsmen drill gun).
    All in all in a good day. Tomorrow will be my first whole day. My brother and i are the youngest employees there by far. Most of the workers there are in their late 30s to late 40s.
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Very good.

Now go spend your first paycheck on booze and hookers. :D;)
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

At this job if i work monday-friday i can make around $250-$275 a week. Not bad eh.
  15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Wow, at my first full time job (over 1/2 a life ago) I brought home a whopping $115/week after taxes. :) I remember the donut maker at the local whole donut being happy because the first number on his paycheck was finally a 2 instead of a 1.

You must be psyched. That's good cashola for someone with no real bills.
  16. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Isn't it illegal for a minor to use any kind of power tool or anything with moving mechanical parts?

I know in Texas it's even illegal for me to use the trash compactor.
  17. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Cool I just got a job working Punch-Out for a home building company. 10 and hour and full 40 hour week. I even got to make overtime on saturday. :0

Ya home building industry hiring 17 year olds! :)
  18. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    you guys are lucky. no one will hire me. I think it's because I'm black.

or my afro.
  19. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I just got a job about 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty lucky i'd say. I'm still only 14 (15 in like 6 days.)
  20. Work hard now, because in 2 years they're gonna take taxes out on ya. I loved being under 18 just because of that. Now my paychecks are always a lot smaller and I have to wait until the end of the year to get my money back...grrr...haha.