Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fight vs. Flight

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    This is an offshoot from Pete's thread about getting mugged for $11.

My personal opinion is that if someone came at me, unarmed, demanding my money, I'd say no. If he starts to get hostile, I'd kick his ass if I could. If not, I'd give him my money. Same case with a weapon.

I work too hard for my money to give it out to hudlums that can't get a job.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The news has convinced me to carry one of these at all times now.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    :eek: :D

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nobody I know personally ever got mugged.

I'll watch this one just in case. ;)

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

While I was a schoolkid in Pontiac MI I got "patted down" all the time for money by the gangs at the school I was "imprisoned" in.

Three skinheads tried to mug me once in Ann Arbor, I took a beating but got my revenge because the "skinhead leader" these guys all looked up to was in a band that my band (at the time) got a gig for. He and his band beat them up!

I've never got over the "hurt" from either episode(s) however.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i've never gotten mugged, no one has ever even approached me, but still, i carry a blade on me at all times, i'm not gonna give my money to anyone, no matter how much i have on me... its not that the money itself is imortant, its the principle of the thing

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    No amount of money is worth running the risk of not being able to play and enjoy music another day.

Nobody lives for themselves alone. The choices we make can impact other people's lives as much as our own.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    that's true, but what Clay said is ture as well:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My answer depends so much on the situation:
    1) How big is he?
    2) Is he armed?
    3) Am I in a public area/close to one... can I run to saftey easily?
    4) How much money do I have on me?
    5) Is he a girl? :D
    6) My mood.
    7) Am I sure of number 2?

Number 6 is a tricky one because Walmart has made me more violent. I don't work their anymore, but when I did I'd have constant violent outbreaks at work/at home. I'd never hurt anyone. But ever since I left Walmart, I've been thinking about getting in a fight next time the oppertunity presents itself. I keep a lot of rage behind a fairly strong barrier so I don't lash out at people I love.

I was at my girlfriends sister's house and she had a punching bag. My girlfriend spied me flipping out on it and said, "Wow, you are scary!" :)

So... it depends.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm with ya Eric.

I found it interesting in the other thread that others assumed defending yourself was some macho, vigilante thing. Or that it was a matter of risking your life, or serious injury.

Most of these people are dirtbag junkies with a small knife. The last thing they want to do is kill anyone, they just want money. Put up a fight, and they'll run. Sure, you got the hardcore guys with guns, who would not mind killing someone, but they are not as prevalent as the street junkie needing a fix.

Of course, and I should have said this.....you have to be smart when you decide to defend yourself. If the dude has a shotgun, you may wanna give it up. If the dude has a kitchen knife, and is tripping hard, he'll run when you fight back.

-Mike

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    For all those who say they would fight, im interested, how many times have you been mugged / had a weapon pulled in your face and fought back?

Are you basing your "i'd fight" on real experience or what you "think" you would do? Because there is a big difference between how you imagine you would react and how you would react when someone has a knife pointed pretty close to your chest! :)

12. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have been thrown into an alley and mugged.

It is a humiliating experience. Being told that I would be shot if I put up a fight was burned into my mind.

Trust me, when they have a gun and knife on you, money loses it's value pretty quick. Taking a chance that they will not shoot is not a good bet. Is your life worth a 50/50 chance?

I was actually quite calm through the whole thing. I just said take what you want. They got a few bucks, my ID and a quickly cancelled credit card. I eventually replaced everything and I still have my life.

I was more mad that they got my cigarettes and ID than my cash....!

:mad:

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Been 'mugged' I guess about 20 years ago. Myself and 2 mates were coming home from a friends house. A gang of about 15 kids our age chsed us...I got caught. Got a bit of a beating, but they didn't take any money - when I was 14 I didn't carry a lot of cash....come to think of it, I didn't have a lot of cash to carry!

I gotta give a big +1 to Josh - pick the fights you enter into very carefully! I too have had some martial arts training over the years (gonna start back again soon) and all through that training we were told that fighting is a last resort. First option if available is to run like hell! Next choice is hand over cash......or go for it - circumstances will dictate which. My opinion 95 times out of 100 hand over the cash and be happy you aren't hurt or killed. Pride 'heals' more quickly than your body!

14. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    The way I look at it is,if you wear really nice clothes,you're prone to get mugged. You probably don't see the average ripped jeans-t-shirt guy getting mugged. -Luke

15. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt when I got mugged.....
    And I was in one of the nicest sections of Boston, albiet late at night.

16. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    As I said in the other thread, it's easy to assess the threat. If they pull a knife on you, they probably don't have a gun, or else they'd have that out.

If they have a gun out, I won't try to disarm them. I *know* I can't dodge a bullet and for some reason shooting someone isn't as personal as stabbing someone, which makes people more likely to do it.

I've learned to fight with and disarm knives and I also carry a very sharp blade myself. Yes, I have disarmed a couple people who have pulled knives on me. Sometimes confidence can win them over (though it can also get you killed).

Like Josh said, pick your fights. If someone has a gun, I will not mess with them. I wouldn't even if I had a gun. Guns kill people extremely fast and they are much more unpredictable. It only takes a split second for them to pull the trigger while a knife jab can take anywhere from a couple seconds to many.

If they have a knife and they seem to know what they are doing with it (or they are absolutely huge and ripped), I'll totally back off.

Either way, use your logic. Trust the little voice inside your head, not the big testosterone voice saying you can take on anybody.

17. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Thus why you can't pay me enough to live in the city. -Luke

18. Too true! It is very easy to say that you'd fight back, but if nothing else, you can just become frozen in fear - let alone consciously deciding not to fight back. If you haven't been in that situation, it is impossible to tell what you'd do.

I think Matt has it well summed up for me as well. There's so many factors to figure out that by the time I have, if they're efficient, the situation would be over. I reckon that if you have next to no money or nothing of any value on you, then just hand it over. I agree with Jazzbo in the original post - for $11 it isn't worth it.

[k]

19. This reminds me of what my friends answering machine message was a while ago. It said "Hello. If you are a friend, then I am not here right now, but if you are someone calling to see if I'm not here so you can break into my house, I am downstairs polishing my gun collection."

We would always call her, then as the message say "Oh darn, well could you call me back?". It was really funny at the time.

I tried really hard on punctuation, spelling,and grammer this time. Just to let you know.

20. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You've done well!