1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fight vs. Flight

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    First of all, if somebody has a weapon, you give them what they want. No matter who you are, how bad you are, or who they are. A thirteen year old crack head will shoot you. Don't test it. I lived in a pretty bad neighborhood for many years. The trick is to not get mugged. The way to avoid being mugged, car jacked, or bothered in any way is to not be a target. If you look like you don't belong in the hood or you look soft, you’re a victim. You need to look like you know where you are, why you're there, where your going and how to handle yourself. If I'm out walking alone in a bad neighborhood at night, I look mean. I have a line from an old Anthrax tune running through my head. "I'm Not Afraid I Am Not Afraid. Nothing Touches Me I'm a Walking Razor Blade" If you notice that people won't even really look at you, that's good. You know you don't look like a victim. The low lives will find an easy target. Some more pertinent rock lyrics from Pink Floyd: "When your on the street, you've got to be able to pick out the easy meat (with your eyes closed…)" That is so true, so never look like "easy meat". I only came close to being messed with one time. There was three guys, punk teen / early 20's types, coming up the sidewalk toward me from the other direction as I walked home. When they get up to me one guy stops and says in an aggressive tone "you got any money on you?" I stopped and gave him my meanest look, fist clenched and responded in an irritated tone "I don't have any money - @#5$, I can't believe you'd ask me that - you got any money on you?" The ring leader just stammered "uuhhh, no…" and all three kept walking.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    2x while i was at college.

i was actually quite surprised at how violently angry i was the first time it happened. the second i saw it coming and was able to control the situation a lot more, but the first time i sorta spazzed and almost lost it. primary rule for a crisis situation is to keep your head.

the most recent time something like this happened was in toronto, of all places, on a visit a few years ago. drunk homeless aborigine wouldn't leave my wife and i alone, and he was pretty large and getting more and more "drunk courage" up, so i sent her into a store and i brow-beat him off alone. i wouldn't have even done that except my wife was with me and she was afraid.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Wil speaks words of wisdoms. I'm sorry I just don't have that desire to fight. In many ways I'm quite the pacifist.

5. i Agree with Will and Jazzbo on this...even tho i am 6'4" and carry a pretty mean build i dont care to fight anyone. I just dont see the purpouse of fighting and if someone is that desperarate that they have to mug you to get money then i truely pity them. With that said, if there was a situation where a fight was one of the only options left i can say i would be obliged to knock a few heads if thats what the last option was. But i would only fight if there were no weapons involved. If someone is bold enough to brandish any type of weapon then more than likely they fully intend on using it if they see fit. I do understand that some assailents carry weapons for the scare factor and probably dont use them but you really cant take that risk. You have one life, one body. Watch out for yourself