1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Figured maple PJ body - input required.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkyFrosty, Sep 20, 2008.

1. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    OK my friends - just picked up this nice body here on TB and need your thoughts / ideas on how to proceed with it, for sure it will get some kind of transparent finish or burst......but which one and whether to add a pickguard or not:confused::confused::eyebrow:

Right now I'm considering Trans-Black, or just a plain natural finish with maybe an amber tint, with black hard wear and no pick guard.

What do you dudes think.

Advice please,

Frosty

sep083876398.

sep083876399.

sep083876400.

2. Solid white sides with a cherry red transparent finish

3. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Natural with a slight tint! Beautiful body there.

4. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    my 2 cents..

Due a sand back on it first.. a Sand Back was made very popular by PRS what you do is when you decide on a finish be it black or blue red whatever. You first want to stain it either black or a much darker version of the color you chose.

Then you will sand it back hence the Sand Back name. What this does is it will stay in the more porous parts of the grain and not in the rest.

When you apply your final color or tint coat it will make the appearance of the flame more pronounced and not as subtle as if you left it plain..

What I would do is carefully mask of the top from the back and then stain the top only in a translucent color. Then pull the tape off and shoot the hole thing with clear. For more of a high end look then just a solid color.

Thats a nice body looks like a A&D body from Ebay. He has some killer tops on his bodies for $130 you cant go wrong.

Here is a pic of a Flame top I did with taping the top from the back and staining it two different colors.
    [​IMG]

Brett

5. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Thanks Brett - that is extremely sharp - you have inspired me to do some more research.

Frosty.

6. Yeah, after seeing Brett's picture, my vote would be for a dark back and an amber-tinted top.

That's a killer looking body, so definitely keep a pickguard off of it, too. ;)

7. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    I just imagined spilling a glass of red wine over that top?
    Good luck.

8. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    I here ya - kind of a vintage Gibson Red wine hey....Mmmm....

9. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I completely agree!! Pau ferro fretboard and you're in business!

10. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Nice input so far - but no love for a trans-black or a blackburst??

11. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    NOPE :)

I think black would ruin that body in my opinion.. I would do a purple top with natural back and sides.. Now that would look sick..

12. Looks like an A&D body(the back is center-seamed, the P routing isn't quite square enough in the corners)(and I'll bet the pocket is EXACTLY 2.5"). I've got the third of my A&D's in progress(the second in my avatar). The back(got a pic?) would be alder. You could burst or whatever you like as the grain isn't high-contrast, like swamp ash usually is. The top would look cool in a reddish stain, more "firey". On mine I just cleared it all and let the wood color as it would. I wanted to keep as much contrast with the back as possible. Gonna be very nice looking and sounding! Doug does great work(if that is indeed, an A&D). Take yer time and enjoy.
    Josh

13. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Yep in another thread - when the body was sold earlier the seller mentioned that it was a USACG body, but I believe that you guys are correct in that it is an A & D body, the neck pocket is exactly 2-1/2", what necks are you finishing your A & D bodies with to get the best fit? Fender, Warmoth, Allparts??

Back to the finish, I'm definately going to do a dye with a sandback as Brett suggested, I'm just chosing my colors - I would really like to get a nice subtle effect with some natural tones.

Thanks for all your inputs...

Dale.

14. I'm trying to find A&D on ebay and having no luck. Anyone care to URL me for more info on these bodies?

15. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    My vote is for plain natural finish with an amber tint.

16. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I got the link at home if no one posts it until I get home I will I believe the seller name is 100mph or something like that.

17. Put about 12 coats of Tru-oil on it and it'll be gorgeous. It'll amber it out and give it a nice shine.

18. +1. I always liked that finish for figured maple - not as glossy either.

19. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Oh you can shine tru-oil to a mirror finish if you know how to use it :)

20. Too much work. ;)