1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Figured woods in the U.K.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by THIRSTYGUMS, May 11, 2006.

1. Gawwdammit! i cant find anywhere in the UK to supply me with a couple of pieces of nice figured walnut, maple, bubinga or anything like that for my bass! I tried to e-mail various luthier guys but they havent got back to me... Does anyone have a link, website, uncle or mate in the UK who can supply me a bit of nice wood???!?!?! (I tried searching this forum already guys)
    Ive never had so much trouble getting rid of good money!!!

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    PM Larry Davis of Gallery Hardwoods with your needs. It doesn't get any better

all the best,

R

3. You can try these, but your better off phoning any of them as there catalogues are not comprehensive of what they have in stock, apart from craft supplies who have more in the book than on the shelves.
    www.luthierssupplies.co.uk ----david dykes your best bet
    www.touchstonetonewoods.co.uk ----- good and fast
    www.craft-supplies.co.uk/pdf/craft-supplies_soundwood_catalogue.pdf ----cheap but don't buy neck wood from them
    I've got loads of wood from the states and it's very easy, I've got wood from larry and he's helpfull and fast the stuff I got was great.
    hope this helps abit
    Heath

4. hey heath what sort of money are we talking to get wood shipped from the states? say 2 or 3 figured tops $180 worth?
    Thanks

5. the strenght of the pound (i don't know what it's like with the euro) means I can buy the wood cheap and this helps keep the prices the same or lower with the shipping and import duty as I would pay in england but I get more choice and better wood, I ship USPS and they are good, standard shipping is around 36 bucks for a 6 pound parcel (should do 3 tops, depending on the wood of course) that'll ship airmail and get to you in 2-3 weeks or 2-3 days for around 55 bucks. the import duty works out like this, it's around 3.5% on the cost of the wood and shipping added together then you get that total and add the 17.5% vat on to it and thats the lot.(robbing gits) but you don't always get charged as to many parcels go through and they only charge so many, I get a round 30% of mine tax free, but you can't rely on that. so 180 bucks ends up around 241 dollers when it's all in.

6. cheers heath! that puts things into pespective. (i spend pounds also, so, yeah... no maths to do!)

7. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    I use Larry as well his stuff is excellent. I got some body blanks sent by surface took ages but was cheaper than air.
    Heath I have had a few neck blanks from craft supplies had no problems with them but I laminate all my necks.

8. yeah, you can get good stuff from them, but they won't quater saw their neck blanks even if you ask, you just get what you get, even though they say they saw their neck blanks for strenght????

9. www.dm-guitars.co.uk
    got all my wood for my project from him, very friendly guy, he let me go down to his workshop to hand pick my wood.
    based in essex by the way

10. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Heath
    The only thing I dislike is not having any way to select what you get short of going to the place. I have sent a few fingerboards back because they had cracks in them. I kow exactly what I will get from Larry half way round the world you would think it would be possible in the same country.

11. yeah I know what you mean I like to go to david dykes and select the timber myself, i just got some wenge (3 - 25mm neck spilces) and flame maple (2 - 25mm neck splices) from him and he sent it pretty quick but the wenge was cut realy badly (his training a lad up) and the flame wasn't very flamed, and it still cost over a ton!!! wasn't best impressed. but still david dykes is still the best over here for choice and quailty!
    and some customer service I've had from other not to be named company's is unreal.
    It's a shame realy but it's getting harder to get realy nice figured wood over here and the states realy have the customer service thing well sown up compared to here.
    I really like to suport british company's but not at the cost of getting second rate materials and service.

12. yeah D-M guitars is only half an hour from me I didn't know he did timber as well. cool!!