1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Figuring out a selling price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcdermott.rober, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Hi Folks,

I'm starting the process of selling two of my basses (to buy my first 5 string), but since I bought them so long ago I have no frame of reference what range of asking prices are appropriate. Of course I don't want to sell them too low. I've been watching e-bay and craigslist for similar items, but I haven't had much luck finding close matches.

Is there a forum on TB where it would be OK to post the details (and pics) and ask for help in valuing them? Are there other resources that people use in this process?

The two basses in question are:

A late 80's early 90's Fender Precision 1957 reissue
    A mid 80's Guild Pilot

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
    RJM

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    RJM,

the best place to start is to see what similar basses are selling for here and on Ebay...also check a few internet dealers to see if anyone is selling used basses which are similar.

You may not be able to find your exact basses, but you should be able to find some "reasonable comparables" to gauge your price....

BTW - this appears to be a bad time to be selling basses....economy is making most postings go WAY too long (IMHO)....

Good luck!

Doug

3. +1

BTW, I had a late 80's Guild Pilot that was ONE SOLID AND CONSISTENTLY-SOUNDING bass. Very nice.

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Check the "completed auctions" on eBay. The Fender comes up often. THe Guild comes up now and again too.