Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Figuring out

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Cloud_Connected, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Cloud_Connected

Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Sweden
    Hi.
    Anyone of you guys know how you can figure out how to play a song.
    Is there anyway to train yourself to figure out how they play.
    For example i wouldn't even figure out how Smoke on the water riff is played without someone elses tab.
    Anyone that could answer, appreciate it!

TAM! TAM! TAM! TAMTAMTADAM! TAM! TAM! TAM! TAMTAAAM! :bassist:

2. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    how long have u been playing? over time it will probs become easier, try and find they key note first, or just each note seperaitly if its a slow song and just werk ur way through it

3. Cloud_Connected

Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Sweden
    Well ive been playing guitar for 1 year and bass 2 months.
    The reason i changed to bass was that IMO sound cooler.
    But if i know many scales and notes will it be easier?
    But i think im able to figure out slow songs, but i usually try to figure out the fast ones without any progress.
    Songs like Motorheads "Overkill", Ang Yngwie J. Malmsteens songs.
    I seriously need answers, because this is one of the big goals that i have in my life as a bass player.
    Thanks in advance.

See ya

4. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    It takes practice to develop an ear. I hear a song, take the main pitch in, and then I hear the distance the next note is. I have learned to hear the difference between a half step and a whole step. I can "hear" a fifth, etc. If you know the song well, it makes figuring it out easier. After you figure out a few notes, you will be able to tell what key the song is in, and then you can use those notes. You should be able to hear from the start whether it is a minor, major, diminished (,etc) key.

To start off, you may just have to take random guesses at notes before finding the right one. Personally, I don't like programs that slow down the song. For me, it just makes it harder to learn. Repeat on riff over and over until you have it down. Continue onto the next riff.

Also, having a DVD or a movie of the bassist playing the song helps. I figured out just about every Primus and Les Claypool song there is from watching the DVD's a ton of times. I taught myself to play bass from Primus' Animals Should Not Try To Act Like People before I took lessons. After a year of playing, I could play a ton of songs.

After you get better at it, you will realize how much better figuring out songs is than using tabs. You gain a feeling of accomplishment, and you will remember how to play the song better. You also develop your ear and will learn the fingerboard better.
    Good luck! :hyper:

5. Cloud_Connected

Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Sweden
    Thanks alot!
    Seems like its just to practice the scales and learn how the notes sound.
    Am i right or right? :bassist:

6. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I don't know a ton of scales, but I know enough to get me around. I know all the modes, chord names, and a few types of scales, such as major, minor, blues, etc.