Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FILAKOVSKY JJ4 REVIEW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 5, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

[​IMG] [/IMG] [​IMG] [/IMG]

Talk Bass Bass Builder John Filakovsky www.Filakovsky.com left with me one of his newest creations the Filakovsky JJ4. I had the oppertunity to review this bass in the environment of Rehersal and Live Performance. Here are the Specs

Graphite Reinforced Maple Neck and Finger board 20 frets J Bass Profile (Thin)
    Schaller Tunners (Black)
    TransGreen Alder J body with a Quilted Maple Cap adorning this light body.
    Goto Bridge (Black)
    Sadowsky Hum Cancelling J Pickups ran through the World Famous Sadowsky Pre Amp featuring the Vintage Tone Control ( Great tool for warming up a maple finger board)

With great joy and ease was it to play this bass. The first thing for me that made a great impression on me was just how comfortable this neck is, i found it to be alot less "Chunky" then some of the other necks John has used and for me this translates into no players fatigue.John applied a technique of finishing and sanding the neck that gives it a very "Natural" feel, their is no sticking to this neck when you start to sweat. Most Importently i could not find any dead spots on this neck! The frets were masterfully laid with no signs of moving. The fret crowns are so smooth i couldent even feel them on either side when i was playing.The weight of this bass is at about 9 LBS with a neck that seems to play its self and world class electronics this is a bass that is designed to be to be played live as well as a tool i would want with me in the studio.

This is indeed a very attactive Instrument sporting a Quilted Maple cap with a Dyed Emerald Green top and a Trans Green on a piece of light weight alder. Tight neck joint , i couldent even get the edge of a buissness card into the neck joint.

This is a bass built from the highest quality components with a very competent builder who dosent settle for second best.I would HIGHLY recomend a Filakovsky bass to anyone seeking a bass built to their specs, you simply can not find a better bass for the money.I without a doubt take a Filakovsky bass to a gig with out a back up, their that good. Have John price out abass for you i gaurenteed you will be shoked at how cheaply he can get the job done for.

PROS: Excellent quality bass built by a great guy :)

CONS : He wont sell this Bass! :mad: :p

[/IMG] [​IMG] [/IMG]

2. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Stunning. [​IMG]

I've sneaked a peek at John's site a few times, and I love the look of his basses.

3. MAJOR METAL

Yeah he has good taste. :bassist:

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Check your PM!

5. MAJOR METAL

You had to do that!

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    :D

Nah, I've been dying to find out a bit about these instruments, as the few he has on his web site look so good.

7. MAJOR METAL

John will be bringing several of his basses to the NY GTG in a 2 weeks so if anyone wants to check them out theirs the place.

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Major, Beautiful Bass, and from what I've seen a great guy, like our own Nino!

9. MAJOR METAL

Playing live this bass cuts through the mix like a hot knife going through frozen butter even with those noisy distorted guitars ;) . Great sonic range offered through the Sadowsky preamp and it is a quite as a Church Mouse.

10. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I see that there are many people who viewed the thread, but not many replys. If anyone has any questions, please ask. The prices that you see at my website are basically, a MSRP; we can always work something out. I think that the product that I am putting out is a bargain at the price point, but you need to find out for yourselves, TESTERS/REVIEWERS ARE WANTED. And FWIW, I also highly reccomend Nino Valenti. His products are also fantastic. I don't believe that you can buy a better product at the same price from a larger scale company/companies.

11. Real nice looking instrument. Im curious as tohow you build them. Do you make your own neck and bodies or are they parts put together?

12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Do you want to stay in the "modern" bass realm,
    or will you do vintage-styled basses as well?

For instance, painted bodies without fancy tops. Or do you not
    want to step on Valenti's toes?

I'm not in the market for a new bass, but
    I am always thinking about the next one.

13. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    they are parts built to my specs, which means my choice of neck size, contour, wire size, finishing etc. I am currently working on my own body designs and I anticipate having a prototype out soon, even if not 100% perfect.

14. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I'll do whatever someone asks me to do. I think that guys like me and Nino Valenti really give customers fantastic options when you compare us to the multi-producers of these style instruments. For the product that we produce, you would have to compare us to their "custom shops". When you deal with people like us, you have the opportunity to deal directly not only with the owner, but the person putting it all together; from the ordering of specific parts exactly the way that youwant them, to the installation of every screw. Don't like the way something looks in the process? we can stop it there and change it to your liking. ask some other companies if they can do that.

15. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Thanks for the quick reply.

You or Nino will build my next bass.
    I don't know when, but it will be one of you.

16. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    whoever you choose, I know that you'll get an excellent bass.

17. MAJOR METAL

+1 True that ! :bassist: