Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FILAKOVSKY PJ 4 REVIEW

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jul 15, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Filakovsky PJ 4 Review http://filakovsky.com/_wsn/page3.html

Talk Bass Luthier John Filakovsky www.filakovsky.com several weeks ago left with me one of his PJ 4 models for review, I had the opportunity to play the bass in band practice and live.

The Bass Specifications

Alder full sized J style Body with quilted maple top dyed blue top Trans blue back
    21 fret Macassar Ebony neck and finger board.
    Hipshot Machine heads (Gold)
    Bartolini P & J pickups
    Aguilar OB3 PreAmp
    Gotoh bridge ( Gold)

I generally like to try out a bass acoustically before I run it through the amp to hear its natural sonic characteristic so that was the first thing I did with the Filakovsky. WOW was this bass BRIGHT and CLEAR that Macassar ebony neck and fingerboard really give this bass its tone. It was during this pre amplification inspection that I realized just how high quality this neck is, the frets were laid very well with no signs of them moving out of the fingerboard. The fret crowns were so smooth on both sides that you can hardly feel them on the side of the neck. Due to the nature of neck and fingerboard composition it does not require a finish to protect it from the elements, this makes for an ultra fast and smooth play on this neck.

After a good look over I decided it was time to hear how this bass sounds amplified and just like the way it played acoustically the bass was very bright with lots of clear mid and high range frequency with lots of smooth low end to spare. Since the bass is so brightly clear I didn’t adjust for treble, but to warm it up a bit I did favor the bass control. In running either the P or J pick up solo with tone up I could not hear any hum what so ever , good shielding John!. Running solo on the J pick up in the bridge I found with the right vibrato I could even achieve fretless type tones.
    I could not find any construction flaws in this bass in fact I would say it is rock solid and I would not hesitate to have John build a bass to my specs.

Pros – Finest quality components with solid construction. Great musical tones with tons of sustain. Fast playing smooth neck unfinished neck low action minus fret buzz. All around a very attractive SOLID Bass.

Cons – Weight. This particular bass did way over 10 lbs but after some further discussion John has become more aware of the weight of woods and harware he is using and some of the later basses are in the 8 LBS range.

You can’t go wrong for the money with one of these Filakovsky basses, their a lot of bass quality for the money. After playing/reviewing this bass I would not hesitate to have John build one to my specs. :) :bassist:

2. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Just a heads up......John is not a Luthier. He gets high quality parts and assembles the basses. The bodies are cnc'd (nothing wrong with that), and the necks are built to his specs.
    Just don't want anyone to be mislead here........

Nice review!
    Rob

3. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I agree 100% Rob. I thank MajorMetal for the complement, but it is not proper to call me such.
    A luthier to me is someone who creates the bodies and necks by hand from scratch. I am just fortunate enough to have the skills to put them (bodies and necks and parts etc) together and then fine tune em. I do it because I love doing it and because it has saved me a lot of money.

edit: fwiw, I am working on my own body design, made from exotic woods, but thats for another day.

4. I'm having trouble with the web links. I want to check out some of these basses.

5. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    +1

6. MAJOR METAL

Neither would I.

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

beautiful bass , great review ...
    not misleading at all , imo ...

8. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    website is back up....

9. Filakovsky-those are awesome looking basses, and from the review, it seems like they play and sound as good as they look. Congrats!!!!! I'm bookmarking your site.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    John (Filakovsky),
    What was the reason or rational to use the Mac Ebony for a neck material? I'm not sure that I've heard anyone using, and I think it's a very smart idea to try it out as a neck wood. All I know is that I love Mac Ebony for FB wood, so I'd probobly love it as a neck wood. Does it have a similar density to Wenge?
    Gene

11. I have a franken-PJ that has a Mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard and it sounds sweet!!! Does the blue bass on your site have an ebony fretboard or is the neck ebony? The neck sure looks like the neck on my PJ. GAS GAS GAS!!!!!

12. MAJOR METAL

The whole thing is ebony.

13. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    It was available and it's supersmooth. I had never played one before, but Warmoth had it available, so I went for it.
    It's heavier than wenge, but I like the tone and look better. It's the best neck I ever played after 20+ years. I'm making all the necks from mac ebony now, to my specs from a different supplier (as I figure I'm stuck with these creations anyway). warmoth makes a GREAT neck, but they are heavy!

14. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I liked the look and availability. :D
    If you've never played a mac ebony neck, you should try it. they're great.

15. MAJOR METAL

The macassar ebony necks would make for some great smooth dry playing in this humid weather , their is no finish so their isint any sticky feel to the neck. :bassist: