Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

File Sharing - is it a US thing - what % of TBers do this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Sep 10, 2003.

1. File Sharing or copying - I am U.S.-based.

44 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. File Sharing or copying - I am not U.S.-based.

20 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. Buying CDs or other media - I am U.S.-based.

41 vote(s)
    32.5%
  4. Buying CDs or other media - I am not U.S.-based.

21 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So I heard on the BBC News, how 90% of illegal file-sharing and downloading takes place in the US.

Wulf doubted this, but I wondered if we could do our own TB "unscientific" poll to give some sort of idea?

So - the idea is how many people in the US see file sharing as their main way of getting music,compared to those who mainly buy recorded media?

I'd also like to compare between the US and elsewhere.. to see if this is borne out here?

If you do something else - just feel free to ignore the poll and/or write about it here in the thread! :)

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    UK here, and I only buy CDs, no downloading. I have been given CDR copies by people (some of which is band material for the covers band I play with) - but I only see the copies as temporary, and if I like the album I'll buy it, and if I don't I'll get rid of it.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    downloaded 3 or 4 songs in my life, one of which gave me a virus and wiped out my computer. i believed it was the universe's way of telling me something.

i was always against the stuff anyhow. i get infuriated when i see grocery stores selling compilation cds they burned themselves.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've gone for "Buying CDs or other media - I am not U.S.-based!". Presumably you're counting an authorised downloading service like Emusic in that category, even though I'm paying for the right to download onto my media and not receiving any physical media directly from them?

Wulf

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I thought about it, but this is really about how prevalent file sharing/downloading is - not about the moral issue of paying the artist/composer - we've done that to death! ;)

Of course I think that is an important issue, but I was just trying to concentrate on this idea of whether it is a US thing and not get into more moral arguments...;)

6. Kruser

Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    Germany
    SHAME ON ME!:bawl:

It is occasional one or two songs, I have no money to buy every album I need one song from!

If a new Album of my favourite artist is released I will surely buy it.

BUt I have no money to buy 3 old albums and pay 80euros(about 80dollars) for them. If I am lucky they are special priced and bought immediatley.
    There is nothing about a original ablum with cover/inlay and whatever.

Didn't make universal their albums 30percent cheaper??? Anyone else heard of it?

ps.: Over here in Germany it is normal to download your favourite album if you have the money for the yet quite expensive internet.

(missed some words...)

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    US based here. I only buy cds

8. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I was asking who gets most or the majority of their music by downloading/file sharing etc. So presumably you would be in the group that mainly buys CDs/Albums then?

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The warez scene used to be at least 50% European, judging from several forums I knew.

The easy file-sharing with p2p might have changed that, also that a lot of Americans supposedly surf via cable, which is faster than DSL for example.

The US is the biggest industrial nation with a population of at least 3 times more than any other (excluding russia, which has 1/2), so usually they are the number one everything, but 90% is exaggerated IME.

Addendum: It's hard to say if there's a distinct separation between warez and mp3z, but IME the warez aspect was relatively small for the US and bigger for Western and Eastern Europe, it might be the opposite for mp3z.

Also, Germany has pretty much the lowest prices for CDs in Europe, I usually pay 15 Euro for most CDs, 17 at the most. The latest King's X cost 12.99.

10. Kruser

Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    Germany
    okay, sorry I didnt read your question exactly.
    Mainly I do buy CDs, yes.

11. Bruce Lindfield

So - I presume that is - minus one on the poll for non-US downloaders?

12. Kruser

Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    Germany

Hey I learned a new word: presume, cool:D

And yes minus one, your right.

13. Bruce Lindfield

So - that's down to zero!

14. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    I am currently downloading a bunch of music and sending another bunch. ggi can't see any problem in doing that!:bassist:

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I buy a lot of cd's. But I also download, because cd's are expensive in Iceland (I think one cd is about 30 dollars..) and there are so many cd's I can't buy here.
    But now I have a credit card so I'll be able to buy more cd's:)

16. Bruce Lindfield

Hmm - so which option did you tick?

17. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Oh yeah...
    Buying CDs or other media - I am not U.S.-based
    Sometimes I download like 2 songs from an album, and if I like it, I buy the whole album. I just bought Esthero - Breath from Another and Marcus Miller - M2 because I liked what I heard.

18. I mainly buy CD's and also download, but only ever music I've haven't heard.

Essentially for music I know I want to listen to, I get everything on disc, so I'll go with the CD option. For me, sharing is like a radio station which plays all the stuff that radio would never, ever play.

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i buy my CD's from retail or online stores. period.

20. This form might have less people who DL music then other forms because this is a mucision (spelling?) form. I noticed that people who really listen to music and/or play insturments normally buy CDs and only burn/DL when they can't afford it.
    But the magority of the population (the mainstream sheep) DL because their favorite artists only have good singles and the albem filler suck.
    And I DL when I can't afford the CD, because Im the broke college student, and I live outside the US.
    ya they are selling CDs as cheap as $10/15.