1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

File Sizes...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crispygoat, Mar 14, 2008.

1. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    I was looking through Gamespot today, and I saw this Starcraft II Trailer 80 mb.. that's insane ! ..maybe it's just me but weren't video game demos 80 mb back in the Return to Castle Wolfenstein days ? If so, then wow... I remember swearing cause it took forever downloading a demo.. and a trailer is ~ 80mb...

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    ...and I remember when Diablo II gave you the option to install the cinematic sequences or just the game to save hard drive space. I still chuckle at that whenever I reinstall.

3. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    I remember my dad's first computer had no hard drive. The 5.25" floppy was all that was needed.

But since then, computers have gained 32 million colors (minus matrix green, which was already there).

4. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I wonder how many punch cards that would be?

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    My first computer didn't have a floppy drive, until I worked all summer to buy one that could hold 100Kb... That was mid-80's.

Ian

6. This just in:

[​IMG]

7. My first computer had no hard drive. My first one with a hard drive was i think 30MB. That was huge.
    I remember when I got a 9600 baud modem. Oh man, those were the days, surfing the all text net, in monocrome.
    That was the mid and late 90's even.

8. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    80 MB isn't really that big, it's probably medium quality at best.

9. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    30Mb was like, plush luxury :p

10. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    This is my first computer:

[​IMG]

It's memory was 10 rows of 10 beads.

11. I remember in 5th grade our family getting a computer that ran Windows 95, with a cool 4 gig hard drive and 64 megs of ram. It was intense. Then we got AOL, where I quickly got my family banned because I was using punters. (kudos if you remember those buggers)

Man, those were the days....I was a complete brat.

12. I bought Band in a Box and installed all the options. Took 2 gigs of space. Well worth it. That software rocks.

13. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    AOL e-mailed the main user account many times after I used punters and other neat "progs" as they were called in AOL chat rooms - smart.

14. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    My 1st computer had ~200MB HDD.

80MB is something like 15 minutes of downloading even with modest 750Kbs connection. Yes, files grow in size over the years, but it's not that bad, after all.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    We have a professor in theoretical physics who's been doing mathematical computing since 1960's. He said the current generation of machines with Windows et al is the 4th completely new system he's had to learn to use since his academic career started. First one's were with punch cards :eek:

16. God forbid you try and game demos which are over 1Gb in size :p

With hard drive capacities increasing 60-100% each year, and computational power also increasing exponentially, is it any surprise that people are making use of that?! Heathens! We should be using our quad core systems with terabytes of storage for running MSDos!