Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filing a nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Feb 22, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well my fretless has shocking action, so ive decided that ill sand the nut. BUT, how do i do it?

Do i have to knock the nut out, or should i just file it down while its still in the bass? What sort of file, rough, fine? How far down do i file? Do i have to re-cut the nut where the strings were?

Cheers
    -Kirbo

2. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    I use the small round file that comes in a kit with a bunch of others,cheap, single cut, but a fine edge on then. BE CAREFUL, just one pass at a time, check, another pass, not hard, and at the respective diameter of the file to the slot. When done, pass a rolled up peice of emery cloth through the slot to clean it up alittle. Check At Every Pass! Single cuts only cut going forward. Easy does it and all will be well.

3. A reporter once asked Louis Armstrong "What is jazz?" Satchmo replied, "If you have to ask the question, you wouldn't understand the answer." I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but if you're reaching out on the internet to learn how to do this, you will almost certainly fail, and wind up having to pay a pro to replace your nut. It is almost impossible for an amatuer or part-timer to do this right without dropping $50-60 on a set of files made especially for this job. The most important tool is knowledge. As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations." Buy the Guitar Player Repair Guide, read it, then make an informed decision on whether you want to buy some tools and do it yourself (which you can ONCE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.) or pay a pro.