Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filing down wood strips

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Freaky Fender, Sep 20, 2003.

1. I'm doing a Defretting project on my Squier that has taken me a long time to get done. I've put in little strips of walnut where the frets use to be. I'm now filing down the wood strips, but I'm not sure what the best tools would be for this situation. I'm thinking a rasp would do nicely, but what do I know. That's why I'm asking you people. :p

2. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    DON'T USE A RASP. It will create much more work then it is worth in this situation. I personally would try trimming most of the wood off with a sharp chisle or other blade. Then sand it all flush. A radiused sanding block would be ideal for this, but you can probably get away without it. I would recomend using some sort of block to level the fingerboard though. I hope that all makes sense, I just woke up so thats my disclaimer :D

3. I am using a styrofoam cube to raise the fretboard. Now could I get away with sanding down the board with a piece of sanding paper? Or should I use a different technique, since the fretboard is convex?

4. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    WHat do you mean by
    I am assuming that you mean it is supporting the neck. I think you can get away with using a piece of sand paper attatched to a flat(really flat) piece of wood or some other suitable block. Just be careful when sanding that you use long strokes, and do not sand in one place for long. If you stay in on place you will create irregularities in the fret board, in other words buzz. you might be able to get away without using a block, but I would not recomend it; especially if you are not familiar with wood working. A radiused block ala stewmac would be the ideal tool.

5. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    A handy tool for triming vaneer in this stuation is a set of good electronics side cutters...

like these...

[​IMG]