Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

filing down your frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bigwig, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    one of my teachers (whos is incredible at bass) was telling me about how he filed down the frets on his stingray...
    i was just wondering wat this does..and why would u do it?

im curious...and have my squier p-bass that im willing to **** around with to learn something about bass.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    "Filed down the frets" is too vague to be useful. He may have leveled the frets by filing across the tops to make them all the same height. He may have beveled the edges to make them more smooth. He may have shaped the tops (some like them very sharp and some like them flat). He may even have filed them down to be smaller ala the mandolin frets of Leland Skylard.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Or he may have filed them down to the point where they are just fret markers, essentially ending up with a fretless.

4. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    oh i see...i wasnt aware of the fact that there are lots of ways of filing down frets..
    i think he just mean that he smoothed them out ... or levelled them...cause i played it too, and it certainly wasnt fretless..
    hes got his 5 string stingray for that...lucky bastard..

thanks alot..i was just curious why people bother doing that.

5. i hate to be pragmatic...but why don't you just ask your teacher what he means?

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I use to use RotoSound strings, which are very abrasive to frets. To get more fretlife. I would sand down the frets with steel wool so they would wear evenly.

My axe at the time had a maple fingerboard and I did some damage to the finish on it before I masked them off with masking tape.