Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filing grooves into saddles

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SwitchGear, Sep 20, 2005.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I wish to file multiple grooves in my Fender 4 string bridge/saddles so I can locate each string between the magnets. The particular bridge in question now has one groove for each string. I would like to mimic the American Series/Standard or vintage threaded saddle bridge size grooves.

I have done this before with a file I have at home, though it leaves a larger groove then I desire. Could anyone give me a triangular file style/size to match the small grooves found in the vintage threaded saddle and A.S. bridges?

Thanks

2. If you can't get a hold of one, diamond files will work. I have a cheap set of diamond files, which includes a thin file with tapered edges, triangular file, and thin round file that is tapered at the end and others. I use them to cut nut slots and bridge slots.

3. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the advice, I'll hunt down some diamond files. :ninja:

4. Try Harbor Freight - www.harborfreight.com - or one of their brick and mortar stores around the country. I don't know if one is near you but they have sets of these for not so many $$