Filing Nut to Accomodate Obligatos

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by kwd, Feb 27, 2004.

1. kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I've just ordered a set of Obligatos. From the threads it seems to be kind of a mixed bag on the need to file the nut and/or bridge to accomodate the increased string diameter. Some need to, some don't. If I do widen the slots on the bridge and the nut, will that render it unusable if I go back to Corellis?
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    See if they fit, first. My guess is that you won't have to do anything as the Ebolagatos are pretty light-gauge. Ask the tree surgeons about proper fit through a groove, but I believe it's something like the string should sit in the slot about have its thickness...
  3. When I switched from Spriocores to Obligatos I was worried about the same thing. Things worked well without any surgery.
  4. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I know I'm at risk of hyjacking this tread, but what do you think of the Obligatos vs. the Spiros?

Timely thread. I expect my Obligatos in the mail any day now.

Thanks . . .
  5. I am sure it might vary on another bass but overall my sound is a little mellower-which I actually prefer. I can't offer any personal observations with regards to arco as I did not start bowing until switching to obs. Most folks say the obs are produce a smoother sound than the spiros. There is also a different feel . . . softer, rolling. . .hard to explain but you will discover it when you put them on. There are some good observations and comparisons on the two in this thread
  6. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    This post is very timely for me as just last night I put on a set of Spirocore Mediums to replace my Dominants. A luthier once filed the nut on my bass so that he could put on a Helicore G to replace the Obligato G he broke. Now, when I put my Spiros on, I get a buzz on the G if I even play it remotely loud.

Does anyone know if the nut filing this guy did is making my Spiros buzz? Does this mean I need a new nut?

FWIW: I love the Spirocores. Except for the buzz.
  7. Could be but not necessarily. In my case my bass was set up for spirocores. Switching to obs, with their greater vibration, led to a buzz on the A. It took a little fingerboard dressing to fix that problem.
    It could be a similar problem with your new strings.

This thread addresses the problem of a too-deep nut groove and some possible treatments.