Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Dec 22, 2002.
Did you file string slots for your badass II bridge?
You could. I'm sure Hambone and some others would have a good suggestion.
Or ring around some luthiers and ask for pricing. You'd be surprised how effective that can be. You then get the cheapest price and ring back a luthier who sounded the best and ask them to match or better the price.
I've been using one for about 2 years now on my MIM Jazz. I let the strings dig themselves in. I haven't had any problems with string movement at all.
How is your string spacing? Even?
I have a very simple take on this. The man - Leo Quan himself - states that you should have small detents cut into the saddles for the saddle to work at it's best. That should pretty much say it all. If it doesn't, let me fill things in the way I like to do
The Quan BadAss was the first aftermarket, high mass bridge available. I bought my first in 1976 but I don't know how long they had been around before that. Originally designed as a replacement for the Gibson floating bridges on EB series type basses, others like myself found it equally useful on other instruments. What this means is that this bridge has a track record that is unequaled by other pieces of hardware. Quan researched and designed it, chose the materials, cast it and finished it to do a particular thing in a particular way. I respect and trust that Leo knew what he was doing and will continue to suggest that others do the same.
I'm restoring a BadAss right now for the walnut Jazz I'm building. The saddles may have had grooves in them but years of playing wear have obliterated them. This might be due to the fact that these BA saddles are a soft pot metal. The bridge was black so this metal was probably easier to make hold paint. My original BA had a chrome plated brass saddle and that would hold up better. At any rate, I'll be cutting new detents to keep the string in place when I reassemble this unit. Just like Leo wants.
The strings are evenly spaced but i think the spacing is a little more narrow than before, if so not by much. If i find my digital camera i can take a pic.
My Badass II was filed by the guys who installed it on my Jazz Bass-- music store in New Paltz, New York called Rainbow Music (I don't think it's there anymore).
That was about 20 years ago.
I cut my own slots in the Badass I installed on the Jazz I used to have.
I have a big assortment of tools, and I have a some jewelers files. It's simple...just look at the angle that the string breaks over the saddle and cut your slots the same way. You only need to go just deep enough to hold the string. 1 milimeter is probably best.
There's really no need to. Some people think there is a need, but after less than a week of playing you'll notice the slots starting to form by the pressure of the strings. I think its better this way. Less of a hassle and it actually doesnt screw up string spacing like you may think.
My badass II arrived today and is now on my bass with a new set of Ernie Balls. I've never heard my bass sound so good. I decided to let the strings dig the grooves themselves rather screwing around with a file. The string spacing turned out awsome, so everything is perfect.
Next upgrade: Seymour Duncan QP's.
mine doesn't have slots (other then the ones made by the strings)
my string spacing on my g and d strings is more narrow now. i need to have those fixed. they naturally did that because i didn't make slots. my g string does move somtimes if i actually try to slap.
thanks for the reminder!
I didn't file the slots on the 5-string version for my MTD Kingston. It worked just fine, with only a little bit of string movement.
i have a shop full of tools so i just did it; took 15 minutes.
jazzx, does the Kingston come with a badass ?
No - the original bridge is an overseas Hipshot "bent tin" clone. You have to do some mods to replace the bridge.
what kind of mods ?
My instructions and descriptions are for a 5-string replacement, not a four-string, as your profile indicates.
The mods consist of only drilling in new screw holes. The Bada** Bass V has six in-line screws (the original Kingston bridge has four on one side of the bridge; two on the other). The two middle holes will match up with the Bada** V perfectly, but you need to make the other two holes a bit larger (by drilling), and then insert dowel rods in the enlarged holes. Those two holes don't align with the new bridge exactly. You can set the new bridge in place and then drill your screw holes from there. I have to admit that I was quite nervous about trying this sort of thing, but I had the new bridge on, action set, and intonated in under 90 minutes.
Mr. Quan recomends slots so...
Did it this weekend to my kid's BA equiped J. I pulled the saddles off, put them in a vise and filed the slots with a cheap set of Nicholson miniature files I picked up at Lowes. Easier than I had expected. I found a slot centered on each saddle was perfect.
The only problem I had with not filling the slots was the action.
It was way too high even with the saddles lowered all the way.
i installed a Bad A** V on my MIM jazz bass,i did it myself,i bought a mini-file set and used the V shaped file to cut the slots ,i removed just enough metal so the string was stationary,it turned out great,no probs.