Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fill out your profile, please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jennifer, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Please, everyone, fill out your profiles!

I'd like to know why we're not doing it. Lazy? Don't want anyone to know anything about you? or what??

[Edited by Jennifer on 11-14-2000 at 11:50 AM]

2. You're absolutely right, Jennifer. I'm no one to talk, because I haven't completely filled mine out due to pure lazyness. I'm going to go work on it now!

Herm

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    NO!!

oh wait. I think mine is filled out. But if it wasn't, I'd tell you that I was too lazy to do it. ;) :D

4. YES!!!!

FILL 'EM OUT!
    FILL 'EM OUT!
    FILL 'EM OUT!

.......please :)

5. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Did it twice here! I was just going to wait untill they got blown away again and skip doing it once. How long will it stick if I do it again?

jc

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I agree, all. If one is going to converse with a group of people, simple courtesy requires an introduction.

If someone asks a question it helps to know the age group of the poster. While I might suggest a truss rod adjustment to a seasoned player, I certainly wouldn't suggest that a 13 year old newbie even touch the TR.

I suggest that,in a nice way, all posters without a profile be reminded to fill it out.It shouldn't take more than a couple of reminders.

Just a thought. Pkr2

7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I'm pretty sure that when the new web site was launched, the profiles didn't transfer over. Or part of it crashed. There are probably lots of members who don't realize that their profiles aren't there.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, let's fill out those profiles and share what we have and where we're coming from.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you're probably right. so everybody, check your profiles! :D

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    :rolleyes: I know some guys who rave about profile-filling-out, when they are vain enough not to write down their own age or other information that could be of interest. Why bother to only fill PART of the profile?

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hear Hear!

Yeah, I'm curious about certain people's ages too. I'm sure it would explain a lot of posts...;)

Will C.:cool:

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I filled it inmediatly. You can check it out. BTW, since there are no female bass players in my town, i like to contact them. I admire a woman who have the guts to play such a serious instrument with conviction. Do you?

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Why should a new person bother to fill out their profile, if on their first post...a senior member rips them to shreds? Must we really be so harsh in our responses? There must surely be a way to make a point, without making them feel like an idiot on their first post.
    And then people ask...why there are so many lurkers..:rolleyes:

14. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    A lot of boards don't allow for profiles, which is WHY they turn into flame-fests for social misfits who like to hide behind anonymity. I think one of the reasons this board is so much mellower than others is that we DO allow for profiles; I think it encourages folks to be better behaved in general. And as far flaming new posters, every time someone adds a "Hi, I'm new" thread, they get 20 responses welcoming them to the board. I think new folks are treated pretty well, Deynn. At least I hope so.

The drawback is that you might be judged, or worse, STEREOTYPED by your profile (I play Carvin AND Peavey, so I double suck), but I think the benefit of being held accountable for your posts outweighs the risk of being pigeon-holed by some moron.

I can understand not filling out your profile if you're just gonna ask a question or two, but if you're going to become a more visible part of the community (and this IS a community), you really need to let us know who you are. And if you're going to start a thread spewing offensiveness, or post something controversial just to provoke a reaction, you're in the wrong place. But you'd better have the cojones to put your name to it if you do.

15. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I was upset when I wrote my last post, because I had just read, in another thread....a senior member here, just tear a newbie to shreds on their first post. I thought it was extremely rude and that new person has since posted that they will never return to this site.
    There was NO excuse for this...and it REALLY ticked me off. It was like..."welcome"..."Now let me slam you."...:(

16. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Wow. Sorry, I didn't see that one. That sucks.

17. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I just thought that it was a tough reply to a person on their very first post. One of my main objectives in this "community"...is to make it a knowledgable AND pleasant place to spend one's time. That sort of thing sure doesn't help.
    But I DO agree...that everyone should fill out their profile. It does help a great deal to know a little about a person, before you respond to one of their posts.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually I noticed recently when I was having a look though the Double Bass side, that they tend to rip into newbies - mostly newbie electric players who have posted in the wrong place it must be said! But then I guess they like it quiet? ;)

19. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Couldn't have said it better I had a thread ripped by a senior member about profiles, I look at his profile and no age. ;)

[Edited by Funkster on 11-16-2000 at 07:52 AM]

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i hope you're not talking about me and und. because if you are, that was hardly a slam. although i have a feeling that you are.

please don't confuse someone's response to a post with the original post. just because this individual took everything i said as a personal attack doesn't mean that was the way it was intended or even presented.

[Edited by john turner on 11-16-2000 at 11:51 AM]