Filling a route (naked jazz bass content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wolfenstein666, Oct 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I had to adjust the truss rod on my Geddy Lee Jazz bass (MIM) last night, the action was waayyyy to low. I had to take the pick guard off to get at the truss rod, and I really REALLY like the look of it without the PG on. However, there's a circular route on the upper right side of the body. I don't know what it's for or why its there, but my question is this: would it be at all possible to fill that route in and NOT have it look completely dumb? Or would it be to much work and not a good enough result? Open to suggestions. Thanks!

IMG_4841.JPG

2. the infamous MIM router hole. I've got a lovely piece of ash (snicker) that deserves minimal covering, but has the same problem.

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I think that's a registration recess for the CNC machining. Unless you are pretty skilled at refinish, I'd leave it alone. Solid color wouldn't be too bad, but matching a sunburst takes some real skill, and I don't think it would ever be invisible. I'm guessing you could find a stock burst Jazz body with no PG someplace, swap it out for one and put the Geddy body and PG in storage in case you ever sell. What would Geddy do? :D

mikeyjm2 and Wolfenstein666 like this.
  4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Nice place for a Fender sticker.

bassrich, Aqualung60, BurnOut and 4 others like this.
  5. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I even thought about going really cheap and just painting the inside of it and leaving it. Just try to blend it in a little, so that ugly ass green sticker isn't hanging out. I don't know. I just really like the naked burst look.

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    How about jamming in a Barbie head with a fake jewel stuffed in its mouth? Never mind, that's disturbing.

shojii, BassikLee, Dean N and 16 others like this.
  7. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    Or maybe put a sticker over it and use it as a place to store my 'stash'. ;)

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That idea brings back evil memories from my mis-spent youth....

Flabass and Wolfenstein666 like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Trying to match both the wood grain and color (never mind you have to fill the screw holes as well) would be a nightmare. As has been suggested, get a jazz body from Warmoth etc. in sunburst, and keep all the original parts in case you sell it.

Gilmourisgod and Wolfenstein666 like this.
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Plug it, and paint a little pattern on the plug.

1BassDreamer, TyBo, RedHatter and 2 others like this.
  11. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    Not a bad idea. I don't need it to be perfect, just something in there that looks reasonable

12. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Find a coin that fits in there and glue one or a stack of them up to the surface.

13. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    :eyebrow: Dude...:roflmao:

14. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Or drill a few more holes in it...

Holy%20Bass%20Batman_zpsizp5s7dr.gif

15. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    o_O

God's Favorite Bass likes this.
  16. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Mmmmm....Swiss cheeeeese! drool

gebass6 and Tbone76 like this.
  17. IMG_1214.JPG I would see if the end of a spent 12 gauge shotgun shell would fit. If too big, I would move to 16, 20, etc till I found the one that fit.

18. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    depending on the size of the hole, you could plug it with a piece of acrylic cut from a pen blank...lots of cool options there. You can get patterns like this on all colors.

1206151615_zpsmeozuvlq.jpg

1BassDreamer likes this.
  19. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    WINNER

Might as well close thread. This is a bad ass idea!

20. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I'll just have to figure out a way to attach it securely, but still reversible for when/if I decide to put the guard back on or sell (not likely)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021