1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Filling an empty EV B215 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo'Phat, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I'm about to take ownership of an old Carvin B215-E cabinet that used to be loaded with Electro-Voice drivers (2x15) rated at 800 Watts at 4 ohms total.

There's no tweeter or horn or anything. Just a vertical 2x15 with two 3" ports midway up the cabinet, one on each side.

From what I have found in my research, this was loaded with EVM-15L's rated at 400 watts each at 8 ohms, which are now long discontinued.

I'm looking for replacement drivers that are suitable and are pretty close to the originals in terms of tone and power handling, and react well to all types of playing styles. (yeah...fingerstyle, pick, slap...all that.)

I've just heard that this cabinet is/was a tone monster, and that some players that got this cabinet (or the actual Electro-Voice B215 cabinet that's the same design) have raved about it. It'd be nice to give mine a rebirth.

Eminence Kappalite 3015's? Not the LF model? Something else maybe from the EV line?

I'd like to spend around $300-$400 total for the drivers...or less, if that's possible.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you can find perfectly good EV15L's within your budget pretty easily (ebay). IMO, the Kappalite 3015's would also work very well in your cab.

3. ninerfan

ninerfan Supporting Member

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    Good luck with the cab and thanks for saving me some $. I saw it on CL and had ideas spinnin'. I really don't need another cab though. Glad it's going to a fellow TBer.

4. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    For $65 and recovered in red, I really don't need it, but thought it was too cool to pass up. Seller's going away for a week, though...so I have a week to lose interest, motivation, and probably back out.

But probably not. He sent me bigger pics, and it looks in decent enough shape. Just need drivers.

5. As a non supporting member this post should have been done by PM and not in the open forum where it is against the rules.

6. hdbassman2000

hdbassman2000

Feb 28, 2009
    ok...i don't understand what PM is or why this bothers you so much.

7. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

8. hdbassman2000

hdbassman2000

Feb 28, 2009
    all i did was respond to a thread that was already here...why am i getting crap about it? i don't get it...

9. Mo'Phat

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Oh...and I built my own 2x15 instead of buying this empty one.

Thanks for looking out, fellas.

10. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166101

Read here. Posting FS ads or veiled ads is not allowed in the
    Amps forums. All ads, wanted or FS go in the classifieds.
    You have to be a SUPPORTING MEMBER to post it there.
    The SM's pay 20 dollars to have this privilege. Get it?

11. hdbassman2000

hdbassman2000

Feb 28, 2009
    yeah, i got it.

12. hdbassman2000

hdbassman2000

Feb 28, 2009
    for the record, i wasn't intentionally trying to solicit a sale. i was just trying to help out...apologies extended to paul for my remark.