filling fret holes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zavala, Mar 30, 2003.

1. zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    can i use the Wood Purflings that stew mac sells as binding to fill the fret slots in my fret board?
    the sizes are .020" x 3/32" x 31-1/2".

it's for a ibanez SR885 bass.
  2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I used normal wood filler that matche the opposed the color of my finger board (to have a line fretboard, I could of matched the colors to get a unlined looking one), and that has done fine for me. I notice no lack in quality of sound, as I have gotten comments on how it looks like real inlay. I would recomend it, as it does not take as much work as inlays. My $.02.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have used wood putty/filler as fret filling material as well- it works great and looks nice. You can pick it up at most hardware stores for a few $$
  4. I used white window blind slats!! :D :rolleyes:
    They fit perfect, just a dab of glue and you set it in, you then cut off the excess, and then sand it smooth with the fretboard. It looks great!
  5. zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    but i thought if you used putty when you restring it the neck can bow? if not then yeah i work at a home depot so getting puddy is easy as breathing.
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Does anyone know what the normal cost is to have actual wood placed in the fret lines?

I'm thinking about getting a neck with no frets from Warmoth and I really don't want to pay the $45 that they charge for this.

Maybe I should just try the putty trick. It worked for Jaco. I would think that you'd want the putty to dry before you strung up the bass so the neck won't bow.
  7. eshears

eshears Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I used maple veneer, which is real wood that is cut into very thin sheets. I cut out small rectangles that would fit into the fret slots, super glued them and, and then sanded the whole neck down. Worked great!
  8. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    The only way that putty would warp your neck is if you strung it before it had a chance to dry, just like Jerry J said. Asuming you don't do that, there is no problem.