Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

filling fret slots with paint??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by suasa, Jul 19, 2004.

1. okay just an idea i am totally stripping my squier p-bass and yes i know i should probably just buy a new neck to make it fretless but too late and its a good experience for me so i went out and bought some oil base polyerothane or however you spell it and masking tape bristle brush all set up frets are our got my sandpaper no filler for the slots. then i thought what about paint because i am makin an orange bass i am gonna sand the solid black finish off and put an orange stain on then get a orange pearl pickguard to top it all off so can i fill the fret slots with orange paint if i put 10-12 coats of poly on sanding beetween each coat which is how i was told to do it. anyway just need an answer to the paint question and its model paint. thanks

2. There's no way you are goint to get the paint only in the fret slots. I fear a big mess is on the way.

Try this - go to the local hobby store or www.towerhobbies.com and get some orange styrene plastic..025" thickness should be fine. Use that to fill the slots and it will be orange like the body. Or you could use a white birch veneer and stain it orange. The rosewood won't show the orange stain but the birch (or any other light wood) will turn nicely.

3. plan was to mask off the sides of the frets fill em sand em pull the masking tape off think the paint will work??

4. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    You could use a product called CanPlast. It's used for edgebanding in the cabinet biz. Or you could mask off everything but the slots and try casting in dyed polyester resin. Out here we've got Fiberglass Hawaii for that kind of thing. The styrene strips are the easiest, but I haven't seen anything but white.

5. sorry but all i need to know is if the paint will work i dont want to use anything else unless i have to so will it work yes or no sorry to sound like an ******* but please thats all i need to know

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Keith Roscoe has been using epoxy with dye in it that matches the color of the bass. It takes a little while to do and there's some sanding to do but it looks great. I don't think he has any like this on the market yet. He showed them to me the other day at his shop.

7. NO. The paint will never dry to a consistancy that will provide a permanent filler. If you mix the paint with epoxy it might work but more likely it will be a waste of time and virtually impossible to salvage and then you will need a new neck.

8. wow that really sucks cause i already did it. but it seems to be allright just had to put about 3 coats on for it to completely fill the slots. anyway i will post of pic of my bass when i am all done.

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    should coat the board in some sort of clear then...that paints just gonna tear out.

10. If the paint recedes, just fill the rest of the slot up to level with a gel-type superglue, let it cure a few days, then sand the whole fingerboard surface.

It's gonna lock the paint in, and make it a semi-stable surface.

And not to *be an a-hole* back, but I understand your intent and whatnot, but you're asking people in the know who only offered more sound advise...so don't be so short-wiked and reactionary. Good luck on the project.

:bassist:

11. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    +1 on the super glue....id use clear exposy though, dries harder.