Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filling Gaps !!

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Funkin'_Bassist, Feb 4, 2003.

1. hi there ..
    I'v been thinking that I may be a good bassist .. but for sure I have gaps as I am self taught ( am from egypt ) ..
    I make chord progression ( mainly majors and minors ) ... I improvise on lots of scales ... I think am techniqually good ... I can play some of Victa's stuff ... I guess that's a teacher's job to see the gaps in my playing ... but I'v already told you am from egypt ...
    you can tell me what I need to have just to call myself a good bassist .. or you can tell me that it's a teacher's job ...
    thx for yer time ..
    peace,

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

whoa, great to hear from someone living in egypt - I'd love to play there someday. I think by playing w/as many groups as you can and helping them sound good is great training for the bass. different situations are going to call for different approaches and this will aid you in versatility. there's also lots of books and now days lots of videos to give you some ideas to broaden your bass knowledge. knowing stuff becomes a more solid reality when it's applied to a real situation. playing w/different people also means learning to listen to their comments and feedback so you can develop skills in taking direction which is important for good bass playing (especially when it's not your band!).

another thing that really helped me: listening to james jamerson on those old motown records - whoa! on that tip, go to gigs and when you hear something you like going on w/the bass, check out what that cat is doing for ideas on your own approach (not copy but gain inspiration).

hope this helps.

on bass, watt