1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Filling holes around p-ups???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gastambide, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Gastambide

Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    I have one of the mini-Ibanez Musician basses which has been converted to fretless. I love this little bass, and am considering doing a complete restoration - including an eventual refinish of the gorgeous 2-tone natural (maple/walnut?) original finish. I will probably also stain the fingerboard ebony and coat w/epoxy or polyester. I even got a price quote on having the hardware re-plated in gold! The only sticky point is the cavity around the neck pickup. Originally, it had a split Precision style pickup that was housed in a soapbar-type pickup cover. Imagine how large THAT was on this tiny bass! I replaced the pickups w/ Bartolini's (passive, since there's no room for extra electronics in the body cavity), which made the closest fitting pickup at that time. However, there is still a small (about 2 or 3 millimeters) gap around the perimeter of the neck pickup.

So - Does anyone have any good suggestions for an aesthetically pleasing way to fix this glitch on an otherwise potentially gorgeous bass? Thanks!