Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filling holes around p-ups???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gastambide, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Gastambide

Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    I have one of the mini-Ibanez Musician basses which has been converted to fretless. I love this little bass, and am considering doing a complete restoration - including an eventual refinish of the gorgeous 2-tone natural (maple/walnut?) original finish. I will probably also stain the fingerboard ebony and coat w/epoxy or polyester. I even got a price quote on having the hardware re-plated in gold! The only sticky point is the cavity around the neck pickup. Originally, it had a split Precision style pickup that was housed in a soapbar-type pickup cover. Imagine how large THAT was on this tiny bass! I replaced the pickups w/ Bartolini's (passive, since there's no room for extra electronics in the body cavity), which made the closest fitting pickup at that time. However, there is still a small (about 2 or 3 millimeters) gap around the perimeter of the neck pickup.

So - Does anyone have any good suggestions for an aesthetically pleasing way to fix this glitch on an otherwise potentially gorgeous bass? Thanks!