1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Filling holes in a composite neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by modwickman2020, Mar 14, 2008.

1. modwickman2020

modwickman2020

Mar 20, 2004
    Ohio
    Whats the right way to fill hole in a graphite neck?I image i would need some kind of epoxy,but what kind?I put a hole in the wrong place and i'll to have to re-drill another really close,if not on top of the old one.:atoz:
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There is a two part epoxy with steel filings in it that sets up hard and can be drilled and tapped. It hardens black in colour.

I also recently used a plumber's epoxy putty made for repairing leaks in pipes, etc. It hardens in about an hour and is very hard when cured. I found that in a Canadian Tire store in the plumbing department. I can't recall the brand name. It was impressive stuff though. If you use it (or any epoxy) follow the instructions to the letter. Working at a temperature above 70F is best if you want it to cure fast and you must mix it thoroughly.

I don't know if Lepage brand epoxies are available where you are, but if so, I'd avoid them. I've had nothing but problems with several batches--not curing completely or taking days to cure. Other brands seem to be fine.

3. modwickman2020

modwickman2020

Mar 20, 2004
    Ohio
    Thanks for the heads up on Lepage.
    Did you happen to use this epoxy on a composite material?I want to be sure that its compatible with the neck.I fear it will harden and come out of the hole.

4. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Yes a good epoxy should be fine. If you can add any sanding dust or hopefully the stuff that comes out when you drill. That will help it match very well.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    No, I didn't use it to fill a hole in graphite composite, just hard maple. But it will bond very well to graphite if it's clean and free of grease or wax. It helps to have a slightly roughened surface which is why they say to sand hard plastics. I would imagine the hole you drilled would be rough enough just from the drill bit. If it's been sitting around for a while, clean it out with alcohol or acetone. Epoxy bonds very well to glass so other composites such as graphite should work just as well. My problem with epoxy is in not getting it to stick where I don't want it. It won't stick to some types of plastic but you should be fine.

By the way, I found the package for the plumber's epoxy I used. It's called "Goop 2 part Epoxy Paste". Very tough stuff.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    What Dirk said is also true. You can mix fine sanding dust with liquid epoxy to form a thicker paste. I've done that myself to fill in a loose fitting neck joint on a bolt on bass.
    Once it's fully cured it's almost too tough to sand.