1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Filling in a gutted bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thewhitesheep, Aug 12, 2005.

1. thewhitesheep

thewhitesheep

Dec 22, 2004
    Hi all, if im lucky i will be getting a fretless soon, but it will be completely gutted of its electronics. It wont have PU or a Preamp. Im fairly new to the whole modding thing, so please bear with me if i have a couple of nOOb questions :D

It has three holes drilled,so i was thinking about what to fill it with. It was routed for a P/J PU config.

I was thinking about perhaps Volume-PU blend-Tone. I want it to be passive.
    So, would that mean that i would have to get myself passive PUs?
    Would a volume Poti be included normally when I buy either the pickups or the preamp? Are there any suggested brands to concider when going with that setup, when it comes to fretless?

As I said, its not certain yet if i will get that bass at all...wether i will be able to come up with the cash. I was just you know, thinking ahead :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :D

2. BudWirth

BudWirth

Jul 20, 2005
    You may want to consider a Bartolini HR-3.3 AP wiring harness. That would give you a push/pull volume pot to switch between active and passive, a blend pot, and a stacked treble/bass pot.

3. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Almost all pickups (active EMG's are the only exception I know of) Come without pots.
    The standard set up for your bass would be Vol/Blend/Tone, but the blend pots for passive wiring I have tried have not given me good blend. So if you wnat to keep it passive, my vote is for the classic Vol/Vol/Tone setup.
    Adding a 2-band preamp is easy, like the Bart mentioned earlier och an Aguilar OBP-1 with a stacked bass/treble knob. Then you can also get a good working blend, and just having a master Volume.
    Some preamps come eith pots, others don't. And in general, you cannot use the pots you had in the passive version of your bass with the preamp.