Filling in a gutted bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thewhitesheep, Aug 12, 2005.

  1. thewhitesheep


    Dec 22, 2004
    Hi all, if im lucky i will be getting a fretless soon, but it will be completely gutted of its electronics. It wont have PU or a Preamp. Im fairly new to the whole modding thing, so please bear with me if i have a couple of nOOb questions :D

    It has three holes drilled,so i was thinking about what to fill it with. It was routed for a P/J PU config.

    I was thinking about perhaps Volume-PU blend-Tone. I want it to be passive.
    So, would that mean that i would have to get myself passive PUs?
    Would a volume Poti be included normally when I buy either the pickups or the preamp? Are there any suggested brands to concider when going with that setup, when it comes to fretless?

    As I said, its not certain yet if i will get that bass at all...wether i will be able to come up with the cash. I was just you know, thinking ahead :D

    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :D
  2. BudWirth


    Jul 20, 2005
    You may want to consider a Bartolini HR-3.3 AP wiring harness. That would give you a push/pull volume pot to switch between active and passive, a blend pot, and a stacked treble/bass pot.
  3. strummer


    Jul 27, 2005
    Almost all pickups (active EMG's are the only exception I know of) Come without pots.
    The standard set up for your bass would be Vol/Blend/Tone, but the blend pots for passive wiring I have tried have not given me good blend. So if you wnat to keep it passive, my vote is for the classic Vol/Vol/Tone setup.
    Adding a 2-band preamp is easy, like the Bart mentioned earlier och an Aguilar OBP-1 with a stacked bass/treble knob. Then you can also get a good working blend, and just having a master Volume.
    Some preamps come eith pots, others don't. And in general, you cannot use the pots you had in the passive version of your bass with the preamp.