1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

filling in a jazz bass...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by The_major_Rajor, Feb 28, 2004.

1. The_major_Rajor

The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Canada
    Hello,
    I am curious about filling in the space around my jazz basses neck pickup, I took off the ugly white pickguard when I bought and have now got used to not having one on. The only problem is that their is a space around the neck pickup and a round hole drilled beneath it, I was thinking about filling it in myself, but having not done any real work on a guitar before I'm sure about the best way to go about it. I was also planning on stripping it and refinishing it myself as well, The finishing I can handle I think, but any tips for filling in the cavity around the pickup would be great.
    Thanks

2. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Weird, I was just in a discussion about hiding oversized routing . I custom shaped a P body and didn't want a pickgaurd so I made trim rings for the pickups. Ebony headstock veneer from Stewart McDonald is the wood I used. 3/32" thick and one piece at 3 3/34" x 8" should be enough to do two pickups. Covering the gap seemed the best approach. Another option is making a wood cover. Check this thread to see what I'm talking about.http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119961
    If you're talking about actually filling the gap left by the oversized cavity, I'm at a loss...