filling in a jazz bass...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by The_major_Rajor, Feb 28, 2004.

1. The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    I am curious about filling in the space around my jazz basses neck pickup, I took off the ugly white pickguard when I bought and have now got used to not having one on. The only problem is that their is a space around the neck pickup and a round hole drilled beneath it, I was thinking about filling it in myself, but having not done any real work on a guitar before I'm sure about the best way to go about it. I was also planning on stripping it and refinishing it myself as well, The finishing I can handle I think, but any tips for filling in the cavity around the pickup would be great.
  2. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Weird, I was just in a discussion about hiding oversized routing . I custom shaped a P body and didn't want a pickgaurd so I made trim rings for the pickups. Ebony headstock veneer from Stewart McDonald is the wood I used. 3/32" thick and one piece at 3 3/34" x 8" should be enough to do two pickups. Covering the gap seemed the best approach. Another option is making a wood cover. Check this thread to see what I'm talking about.
    If you're talking about actually filling the gap left by the oversized cavity, I'm at a loss...