Filling in for a mullet

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JWC, Mar 19, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Friday night, as usual, I was steady getting sh*t-faced. We made our way into the local rock bar, and I soon discovered that the mullet bass player got liquored up and quit the band mid-set (mullets and alcohol do not mix). So, the owner came up to me and asked do I wanna play. I said sure. I went to get my bass out the car, and he gave me a free pitcher of brew. I knew a few covers they did, but had to have them yell out chord changes on their originals and such. It was fun. Never done that before, but it was a good experience. I may have gotten some gigs playing fill-in until they get a new bassist. Out of town paying gigs! Pretty good for a drunk guy who can't play by ear.
  2. Playing drunk = bad, I think.

It's a good way to get a bad rep, playing drunk.

But as far as filling in and not knowing any of the tunes, I do that on a really regular basis. The trick is listening. I know you said you can't play by ear, but really, knowing some theory, knowing how to apply it, and being familiar enough with the instrument to make the sounds you want to make is usually enough to get you through just about any song.

Anyway, good for you getting up and playing. Just be careful about the reputation issue, the biz can be suprisingly small.

3. can someone enlighten me as to what a mullet is?
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    It's what John Turner has on his head! Hah! :p
  5. Mulletsgalore is a great website..

until last week I kinda had a slight mullet going on for a while.. this is my first year in college and for the hell of it I decided to do something different and just let my hair grow out (I've always worn it pretty short) and unfortunately I think the hair in back grew slightly faster than the rest... so I was borderline mullet status for a few weeks.. had most of my hair chopped off last week
  6. hair in the back does grow faster for a while, i have long hair(past my shoulders) and for the first while i'd have to trim the back a lot more often
  7. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001

*cough* sorry about that.

I bet he drives a '86 Camero too. HAHAHA!
  8. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Does drink and beat his wife too? I'll bet he shops at wall-mart
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Come on, it was an old joke! It's not a mullet, it's a mohawk. Even I realise that nowadays... :p
  10. JT is too cool to be disgraced by being put on mulletsgalore! His army of 7-strings (and 8-string..and old 4-string ricks) will attack you! hahahahahaha. :D

...sorry... temporary insanity. :D