Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filling in frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Spikeh, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I've de-fretted my old westfield (it wasn't going to get used again after I bought my Jazz), and I'm a little stuck... none of the local retailers sell wood small enough to fit in the holes, and nowhere will cut it that small!

I just wondered what you guys use to fill in your frets? Any kind of epoxy, wood filler, liquid wood or craft material? I don't wanna bugger up the tone of it :(

If there's anyone out there that lives in the north west of England who knows anywhere that stocks anything I could use?

It's killing me... I wanna thread those flatwounds on and get playing!

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Try a hobby store that caters to electric model train enthusiasts. They'll have a thick veneer that is ideal for filling fret slots. It is a common material used in train modeling.

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I used West System epoxy to fill the fret slots. They also make an additive that you add to the epoxy when using it as a filler, but it will work without that too, just takes a few coats. You can also use thin slabs of wood, check out Nateo's thread on this in the lutheir's corner, I think you could substitute anything for whatever that stuff he uses is.

4. for nice dark lines, toe jam works very well but has to be replaced regularly. :D