1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Filling in frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Spikeh, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I've de-fretted my old westfield (it wasn't going to get used again after I bought my Jazz), and I'm a little stuck... none of the local retailers sell wood small enough to fit in the holes, and nowhere will cut it that small!

I just wondered what you guys use to fill in your frets? Any kind of epoxy, wood filler, liquid wood or craft material? I don't wanna bugger up the tone of it :(

If there's anyone out there that lives in the north west of England who knows anywhere that stocks anything I could use?

It's killing me... I wanna thread those flatwounds on and get playing!

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Try a hobby store that caters to electric model train enthusiasts. They'll have a thick veneer that is ideal for filling fret slots. It is a common material used in train modeling.

3. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I used West System epoxy to fill the fret slots. They also make an additive that you add to the epoxy when using it as a filler, but it will work without that too, just takes a few coats. You can also use thin slabs of wood, check out Nateo's thread on this in the lutheir's corner, I think you could substitute anything for whatever that stuff he uses is.

4. for nice dark lines, toe jam works very well but has to be replaced regularly. :D