1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Filling in large block inlays

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bjlevine, Sep 28, 2009.

1. bjlevine

bjlevine

Dec 4, 2008
    I'm wanting to fill in the inlays on my bass neck. What is the best wood filler to use?

2. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Noooooooo! Why!!!?? Blocks and binding are timeless.

3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    If it's a bolt-on, I'd just get a new neck.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    A filler that matches the species of wood blended properly to match the graining of that species.

That is the proper answer. If you give us more information we may be able to advise you with your desire.

5. To be honest, it's likely to look like a crock, and devalue the bass (I for one would walk away from any bass that had great wodges of filler where the inlays should be).

Best suggestions would be:
    Change the bass
    Change the neck if it's a bolt-on
    Change the fingerboard if you really must keep the bass but lose the inlays.

Just my €0.02.

Adrian

6. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    I'm wondering why? If it's a cheap or less expensive bass, then why would you want to waste your time (it's your time to waste). And if it's a expensive or rare bass you'll devalue the instrument.

What kind of fingerboard does it have? What kind of inlays? Abalone, pearl, wood? Block, dots, diamonds? You will probably get a good answer with more info.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Are you looking to rip out the triangle inlays in your Ric to make it more CS-like?

8. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I think we should stop helping him because what he proposes to do is a crime against humanity.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    It looks like has already done the body and headstock to be a CS copy. If this is the bass he's referring to.

It looks like he's got some pretty strong striping in his fretboard. Hard to match. Not to mention the thick Ric clearcoat that would have to be dealt with.

10. bjlevine

bjlevine

Dec 4, 2008
    I'm not looking to change my existing bass (an old Electra Corsair with Ric hardware). I recently picked up an Ibanez Ric clone and am trying to do a better job. I've already stripped and sanded the body, taking out the binding. I'm working on the neck now, but the inlays are this ugly plastic that's yellowed. I really would prefer dot inlays. Are you guys suggesting replacing the fretboard? I doubt I could find a replacement neck for this bass. Suggestions for a source for a fretboard?

11. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
  12. bjlevine

bjlevine

Dec 4, 2008
    Looks like a painful experience, but I think that this is the way to go. I've read through the page on removing a fretboard. This is the same neck that I posted about turning into a pseudo-set neck, which everybody gagged on. I didn't pay much for this bass and I was going to scrap all the hardware anyway, so if nothing else, this will be a good learning experience.

13. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Make sure you post your results. I would like to see how it turns out.

14. bjlevine

bjlevine

Dec 4, 2008
    Will do. The body turned out excellent. I removed the binding and sanded it down to a glass-like surface, and sealed it. Its ready for priming (I have it carefully wrapped in bubble wrap). The neck is stripped, but the inlays looked bad and since I wanted dot inlays anyway, I tried the approach of filling them in but that doesn't look like the way to go. I'll post pictures of the process.