1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Filling in the flaws...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Betyouaint, Jul 2, 2012.

1. What's the best product for filling in the flaws in the woodwork prior to finishing? At the moment I'm using Miniwax wood filler but I'm not convinced it the best thing as it lack the ability to fill in small imperfections. I'm not looking at finishing my project with stain or varnish so the color of the fill isn't important. It just needs to fill the smallest of scratches in the woodwork and not show through in the future.

Any suggestions...?

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    I used Timbermate wood filler on my last project. That worked pretty well. It can be thinned down with water as well which is handy for those very small imperfections.

3. mikebpeters

mikebpeters

Aug 29, 2011
    NS, Canada
    if it is just small scratches you are worried about would a bit more sanding, up through the grits work?

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    If you're just priming and painting, a quick fill and level of bondo will work.

5. The trick I've learned here at TB is to take some sawdust from the wood you want to fix and mix that with some woodglue and use that as a filler.
    I've done it once and I have to look very closely to find it.

6. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    This works great, but make sure you use a glue that dries clear like PVA, Super glue or Epoxy. Titebond dries yellow, which will affect the colour. I'm not sure staining/dying would work after this treatment either, but I could be wrong.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If its a solid color paint job, automotive primer/surfacer works well, its high build so it fills in any small imperfections and it sands very easily.