Filling in...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    I am friends with a local hard rock band and was just called by the guitarist and he said the bassist couldn't make this saturday's show, so they are asking me to fill in.

besides practicing the songs... is there anyother way you guys get ready for gigs that you are filling in for?
  2. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    the only thing you can really do is practice the hell out of it....
  3. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i get recordings of the songs we'll play, and play the snot outa them.
    that way, they'll be burnt into my short term memory, which is suspect most of the time.
    that, on top of practice, is helpful for me.
  4. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    +1 on recordings.

I've subbed for a church band and one of my former bands recently. Requested CD's of their current material from both. Worked well........too invited back to my old band as the full-time bass (they were having issues with the fella that replaced me a couple of years ago when I moved on to another band).
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have done a LOT of fill-in work for various bands during periods where my main band was on a break or hiatus, or just had the weekend off, from country bands to classic rock bands to top 40 bands to metal bands---you get the idea.

I agree with the others. I at least get a copy of the setlist (obviously) and hopefully cd's with the songs on them. Then, I learn the songs that I don't already know and play them over and over (as much as time permits).

Seems to work fine for me.
  6. Chart the songs first if you know how. Then play the snot out of them. The charts can be handy if you have a brain fart.