1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Filling neck holes on the body...What kind of filler?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Eilif, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I am replacing the body on my home made jazz, and as I am using an SX body (which should arrive today), there is a good chance the holes will not lineup. The neck is a replacement Fender 62 reissue so I would prefer to do my filling and re-drilling on the body.

The questions...

What kind of filler should I use if I have to fill and drill?

Do I have to thin it to get it to fill the holes completely?

Thanks a ton.

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I would drill and glue in dowell to fill the holes. If your using an existing neck, cut nails slightly longer than the depth of the holes in your neck so the points of the nails just stick out so when you set the neck in the pocket the nails will mark where you have to drill the body. Does that make any sence.:)

3. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Doweling makes sense, but the holes are not evenly rounded on the body, I tried enlarging them unevenly with a smaller size drill bit. (don't ask, it was a stupid idea on my part) and even if I dowel the, what kind of glue/filler would I use around the dowel.

Or should I make the holes much bigger and then dowel them?

Any other Idea's on a durable filler?

As a clarification, the neck already has holes, so I will use the nail trick to mark the new position.

4. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    cover the outside (back of the body) of the holes with tape and then fill the holes with 2 part epoxy

5. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If the new holes overlap or touch the epoxy, will it be possible to drill neatly through the epoxy. Are there epoxys that cure hard as wood?

6. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Go with the dowel method. When the wood expands, so will the dowels, the epoxy will not.

7. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The holes are irregular, what do I use to secure the dowels?
    Superglue?
    epoxy?
    filler?

8. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Just use the epoxy. If you use dowells then you will have the end grain exposed
    Epoxy will drill fine

9. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks for the replies everyone, if I had'nt messed with the holes, I might use dowells, but the Epoxy method seems right for my situation.

Any suggestions as to what brand/type of epoxy to use?

I've used epoxy for alot of art projects, but never for instruements, and I never had to pick an epoxy to drill through?

10. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Use slow cure epoxy not the 5 minute stuff.
    Any good brand will be fine

11. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks. Will do.