Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filling out the sound

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass_drum, Oct 21, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey I recently started another band with a few experienced friends. We are a three piece playing mostly rock.

Now the problem im having is filling out the sound, whenever my guitarist does a solo or anything like that, the song feels like theres something missing. Its not the bad, but I'd like the band to be the best we can be. Now I know that getting a 2nd guitarist would fix it, but we have a gig coming up and we dont have enough time to get another guitarist " in the swing of things" before the gig. So what do you suggest? I'm considering an octave pedal. What could the guitarist do to help aswell?

Thanks in advance!

~Justin~

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    One of the bands I work with on occasions is rock covers band, and we have a similar problem. We found a solution that works for this type of music, though I don't know if it'll work in all cases - a nice fat bass overdrive (currently a MXR M80 pedal). The distortion over the top of the bass notes almost feels like there's another guitar playing power chords.

Octaver might work in some songs, but be careful. They track your notes well enough in the upper register, but once you get a bit low, the notes start to fall off.

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Thanks for the advice!

I have a danelectro fab overdrive that seems more liek a distortion then an overdrive but ill give it a shot and see if it helps.

Anythign the guitar can do? like more reverb or something? WE Have a practice in a few hours and I'd liek to have a few ideas to pitch and see what they think.

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I have the same problem with my band. What I do is during guitar solos, i'll play octaves of the root. I don't know if you're a root player but if you are, try octaves of the root it fills the sound nicely

5. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Well a few songs i can do this with, but a lto of the songs I play more complicated lines than roots. I'll give it a shot on the songs that I do play roots on.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Frantone Lo Tone Fuzz gives you a heck of a bass boost and some nice gravel to fill in the sound.

The Digitech Bass Driver with it's blend knob does this well also.

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    would even a octave pedal (low octave) work to create a wall-of-sound to fill in the gaps?

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Octave down tends to muddy everything IME. I use Whammy fifth down and it works okay with distortion.

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Oh I see...Thanks!

~Justin~

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This would take an extra amp and some other gear, but you could play in stereo, using two speakers and having one signal clean and the other with effects so you wouldn't be losing that much of your original sound.