Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filling the space during the guitar solo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eclipse7, Aug 9, 2002.

1. eclipse7

eclipse7

Jun 24, 2002
    I am playing bass in a three-piece band working on cover songs right now. My question is what effect can I use on my bass to give a little more distortion or thicken up my sound when the guitar player takes a solo. Right now I just continue playing my normal bass tone and it just sounds like something is missing. We really need a rhythm guitar player to fill the part but we are trying to avoid adding another guitar player if possible.

My rig right now is a Trace V-Type Preamp, QSC 2450 RMX amp, and one Acme B2 8ohm cabinet. I am using an ESP B-304 bass with no effects, just the tone straight from the Trace Preamp. I am only using one channel of the amp to power the cabinet at this point, mainly because I plan on adding another B2 cabinet in the near future.

I was thinking about trying to have a setup that let me have one tone from one of the B2’s and a more distorted tone out of the other B2. Then a switch that let me choose either cabinet or both. Seemed like I could choose between the two tones and use them both to fill in during a solo.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

2. I dont know if this will be much help as my band has a rythm guitarist but try having the tone higher it wont b distorted but it would probably sound clearer

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I think some light/medium overdrive might do the trick. Depending on the styl of the covers, heavy distortion/overdrive vwould make your presence felt.
    If you don't want distortion you could try a chorus effect. Personally, they just muddy up my sounds, but it may be what you are lookign for.

Hope it helps,
    Travis

4. this is more of an amps topic...

I use simular approach to this, I use both a guitar amp for distortion and top end and my bass amp for lowend and a more traditional bass sound at the same time. The Guitar amp is plenty loud and gets good distortion but lacks lowend, that's where my traditional bass rig comes in. I'm only using the guitar amp because I had it on hand, I'd like to replace it with a crunchier or bassier distortion side, like an SWR IOD and SOB 1x15 mix (tight 15's get a better crunch for bass than 10's do IMO). It works great though.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I like biggie's two amp approach. does your guitarist have another amp you could use? running an A/B/Y box to both would be a killer setup. just make sure you turn down the bass on the guitar amp, or you'll cook the guitar amp's speakers.

how bout an EH Bass Micro Synth? in my trio's, distortion sometimes for certain songs just wasnt an option, but i've been using the octaver, and sub octaver in my BMS.

i heard you cant use the sub octavers on the B-2, but even so, when i'm using the octave, it fills things in nicely, with lots of great articulation. the micro synth has a great sounding distortion on it as well, so that might be a great option to try.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Do you use a crossover or do you just split the signal?

7. Right now I'm just splitting the signal, I plan on buying a DBX Crossover so I can run only certian frequencies to the guitar amp so I don't cook it or get so much of a fuzz tone. I also need a separate volume control to the guitar amp... my bass' signal is a little hot.

8. The bass micro synth is a nifty device, I love mine. But for some parts I just can't apply it effectively, I agree it's really good to fatten things up. The Kickdrun/Tuba tone I get from it is pretty cool for rythm parts or more percussive staccato beats. And those trim and attack time controls makes my hypnotic, locked lines sound like my signal is on the same drugs I am. But the BMS may be more flavor than he wants.

9. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Sometimes I use mi dunlop 105q bass wah. just stepping on it and leaving it in the same position (usually in the low range) fattens up the sound nicely, and you have the option of having it boost or cut the overall volume, too.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe...

what other box can do a kickdrum/tuba tone? ;)

11. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i play in a 3 piece,well if you add singer 4, i use a hartke 3500 with hartke 4x10 cabinet for stage,and use a sansamp to run thru to the house PA,i set the sansamp to simulate an ampeg:svt sound,,i play classic/hard rock and this setup works great for me.also you might want to "beef up" your bass by going with hot pickups/ pre-amp/eq.... good-luck..:cool:

12. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    What Dougray said. Beefing up helps.
    I played in a three piece for many years and my experience was that it's more about playing style than equipment. Try to dig in a little more and fill the space with your music not distortion or synthesizers and stuff. You'll be better for it if you can do it "naked"!;)

13. eclipse7

eclipse7

Jun 24, 2002
    thanks for all the good advice. still not sure what I am going to do, but now I have some options to try.

14. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Try This.............
    Run your bass into an Ernie Ball volume pedal. Use the "Tuner out" to go to your bass amp(constant output), then connect to a guitar amp(I used to use a 50 watt 2x12 Marshall combo) using the "out" jack. This way your bass signal is always present but you can vary the signal to the distorted amp with the volume pedal. This is a trick I got from Jack Casady, and used for many years!
    GEEK

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would recommend heading to the bar at this point! ;)

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

ROFLMAO!:D :D

17. Excellent point, Bigfeet! I've always thought the same. For clean bass, I always prefer 10s, however, for distortion, 15s take that nasty edge off and give you more of a nice grind.

Geddy Lee only ever used 15" speakers back in his Rickenbacker days, and got some very awesome distorted tones.

--jeff

18. I use an Ibanez PD-7 Bass Overdrive, and I always keep the level high to get more boost. Not the most elegant solution, to be sure, but it gets the job done. =)

19. Maybe I'm interpreting your question wrong, but I would focus more on what your playing. I come from a trio myself (guitar, drums, bass), and know that a song can get boring, repetitive, and lacking in continuity during the solo. I find that if you do more variations on the line and make your part more interesting it will keep the song going. However, there is a thin line between being successful at this and going overboard, I find. You need to still be able to hold the song together and not make things too chaotic.
    This might not make sense for what you were thinking of, but I hope you can get some kind of insight out of it.

20. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i would also say look at your actual playing before buying more equipment, in this case. if i'm in a situation such as the one youre in, i usually try to fill it out a bit more by playing the higher octave of a note, and also filling with arpeggios. ive found by keeping to just octaves and arpeggios during guitar solos, that i can fill up a song when i need to, without getting in the guitarists way, because im sticking strictly to notes in the chord. hope this helps.