1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Filling up the sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by allular77, Jan 11, 2012.

1. allular77

allular77

Jan 11, 2012
    Im now playing in a three piece punk rock band. Im not used to not having that 2nd guitar there while guitar one is playing a lead. Whats recommended to have a more fuller sound during these breaks? I have been told a simple bass overdrive or even playing the power chord on the bass. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I'm pretty much in the same situation and I think the easiest solution is a blended fuzz pedal. Something that leaves you both a clean sound and a distorted one can often sound like bi-amping and helps fill out the spectrum.

Other options likely include octave pedals and chorus, but might not work so well in your musical context.

3. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    My opinion- you have to have an always-on, overdrive-type pedal. Or the most awesome cranked amp tone that you can always replicate at different venues, volumes, with different cabinet mics.... a pedal is easier. Any of the Sansamp pedals are great for sculpting a righteous amp tone. Get your "main" tone down first- then add fuzz to taste if you think you need it durring guitar solos and such.

And a compressor wouldn't hurt either.

4. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    No way. It's all about what the guitarist is playing in conjunction with what your playing. Almost all of my bands I've played with were three pieces and we got HEAVY...and I played in standard tuning.

5. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    I'd definitely recommend a Tech21 VT for an always on pedal that will fatten up your tone, I use mine for that and love it, not so much for overdriven tone. Then an overdrive or fuzz into the VT to click on when your guitarist does a solo.

6. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Have your guitarist play in DADGAD...

7. PaulDouglas

PaulDouglas

Jan 29, 2009
    Uxbridge, MA
    What is your drummer doing? Tell him/her to ride the ride a bit.
    You may have to bone up on arpeggios. Use a compressor also...adds sustain

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    VT Bass to "thicken" your bass tone and and overdrive to "amp it up" when necessary. For me I use fuzz too but its on a song-by-song basis and generally if I use it for a song its on the whole time.

Played Mountain's "Mississippi Queen" with HEAVY muff fuzz in a 3 piece cover act and it sounded AWESOME. I played alot of ghost notes (that are pretty chunky when your fuzz is active) to fill in when my guitarist was doing his thing

9. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    In the new issue of Bass Player magazine they review a pedal that plays 4ths, 5ths and a octave higher. Plus you can overdrive these new "guitar" notes while your bass notes are unaffected.The pedal has a two outs.One to plug into your bass rig and the second(guitar) amp. This way you are the bass player and the rhythm guitarist! I think it`s made by Daring Audio but I`m too lazy to go check.
    Sounds pretty cool and useful to me. I don`t know how I feel about lugging around a second cab and head for the guitar parts though.

10. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    See, I don't know if it has more to do with what you play through than what notes you choose to play, and when.

11. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I love using an octave pedal to thicken up the low end. Chorus also does a great job of filling up the gaps.

12. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Probably 50/50 I'd say. But I really think the guitar determines heaviness or lack there of. Consider skanky punk...super twangy guitar with throbbing bass...lots of space in the music. Consider Dead Kennedys...surf rocky but heavier guitar...bass still moving along pretty darn good...much fuller. Consider Dead Milkmen Punk...not heavy guitar at all...really good bass...empty sound. Consider Straight edge punk...super heavy guitar...simple-ish bass lines but driving...super full sound. Consider hard core...railing guitars...same driving bass...ultra heavy sound.

These are some generalizations, but I truly believe heaviness is dictated by the guitar. There are some things a pedal can't fix.

13. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    MEATBOX!!!!!

i can't say that loud enough

14. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I need to play through this mysterious Meatbox one time.

15. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Just add a soft overdrive, should fill the empty space :D

16. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    ha

17. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I used to play with a real noodly textural guitarist -- lots of hanging diminished chords -- so I used an OC-2 and played up the neck a lot. Worked quite well. Just don't overdo the octave blend.

18. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Maybe some micropitch tuning effect...like what the pitchfactor does...not to the point of a chorus sound though.

19. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I use a Roland GR-55 synth to fill in the sound, with my normal bass tone going, the synth gives me modeled guitar tone (either LP or strat), plus two PCM synth guitar tones with the pitch of each to make a simple triad chord, then route that through the GR-55 distortion and guitar amp modeling, and i have a rhythm guitarist playing along with me.
    Just got a Tech 21 VT pedal, so i look forward to trying that too, in the loop i drilled into my GR-55 for analog tones to the bass amp.

20. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The FEA Growler offers an alternative to the overdrive suggestion. You get extra sound, and it is still your sound, but an extra bit of harmonic added in, with the option for asymmetric clipping for added texture. Combine it with an FEA 2 CH Mixer and use the wet and dry outs of the Growler into the mixer, and you can layer the two signals for an even more awesomer full effect.