Filling whammy route, pickup cover repair??????

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tim Cole, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I need some advice on filling a route for a kahler pickup route in a bass I just bought. Obviously, it needs to be a wood filler, I just wondered about the best way to shape the filler piece of wood to fit, what glue/material to attach it, and if possible I am wanting to fit this in, without refinning the body. Most, if not all of the repair will be under the badass 2 bridge I intend to install over it, and I don't have the money to invest in a refin.

Also, I have a lane poor humbucker with the top left mounting ear broken off. I do have another one from a smashed body with an ear in tact, that I should be able to shape to fit on without too many issues. What would you reccomend to make a SOLID repair on this? I don't think crazy glue would do the trick, but I could be wrong. I am assuming some kind of epoxy would do the best job, but I have no idea what to get, or where to get it. The lane poor pickups are completely sealed in epoxy, do replacing the cover is not an option at all.

Thanks in advance,

2. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    What I would personally suggest is to not use a Badass II, and get a Kahler trem. Even if you don't use the trem, it's still a good bridge (adjustable, well-built, and made in the USA, if that matters to you), and will save you hours of work filling that hole.

Otherwise, shape the wood to be a snug fit, but not too snug, else the body will crack. I like Titebond 1 glue, but use your favorite wood glue.

As for the Lane Poor, You could use a cement that bonds plastic. Then, to reinforce the ears, make a cover that fits over the current pickup. There are instructions on this site (I say that because I have no clue how to do this). Unfortunately, Lane Poor is not in business anymore, so good luck getting any help from them.

3. Too many plastics out there to easily determine the proper adhesive to do a solvent type of weld here. CA is the best solution but this location will have tremendous tension placed on it. I don't think anything you can do will be truly permanent.

I have plenty of 1/8" black styrene stock and some black phenolic if that would help. The styrene glues with CA, epoxy, or airplane glue and the phenolic with CA, epoxy, or fiberglass resin. If you need some of this for a repair let me know and I'll pop you some in the mail.

Perhaps shaving all of them off and making a cover is the best route. OR make a metal tray with the ends folded up and out to make new ears then mount the pup to that.
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

Actually, I have a another ear from a lane poor (off the bass I have that flea busted) that I planned to try to fit to it. The plastic they used for their covers is VERY hard, and seems to be kind of brittle. Not sure if that will help at all with suggesting a good epoxy to use or not though. JB weld even crossed my mind, could be an option.

It aint got to be beautiful, as this will be my main player indefinitely, it just needs to be solid and reliable.