Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fills

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ibapunk, Mar 12, 2001.

1. ibapunk

ibapunk

Dec 9, 2000
    I want to know what fills are. I am guessing they go in were there is nothing else being played, but what make a fill? just anything in that key or scale?

2. yea, little things added in to sound nice.

3. ibapunk

ibapunk

Dec 9, 2000
    ok, but can you elaborate a little?

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't know of anything officially designated as "fills." Some that I use are slides, hammer ons, and muted staccatos of notes within a scale based on the last chord played or bouncing between the notes an octave.

I just throw stuff in when there are major rests in a chord change or song structure, (e.g. chorus back to verse), and the drums would be inappropriate. After all, we are the "glue" of the band.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Punk-
    Consider this simple 4-bar bass figure/vamp-
    Notes/Beats in bold are played; the rest(all the other stuff is counted, not played). The whole phrase is played between the 3rd & 5th frets(use your EADG strings, too).

Bars 1, 2, & 3
    /1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a/
    /Ge&a2e&GGe&a4e&a/

Bar 4
    /1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a/
    /Ge&a2e&G3CBbGFGCD/

See the 1/16th note activity that occurs in Bar 4, beginning @the "e of 3" & ending on the "a of 4"?
    That's a fill leading back to Bar 1's "G".

6. I don't know if there is an official term for bass fill but I have my own approach:

When I come up with a bass line to a song, I have certain parts that are set and parts that aren't. For instance during the verse of a song, while the singer is singing, I may have a basic bassline that locks in with the drums and supports what the vocalist is doing (the set part). At the point where he stops singing in between verses (the turnaround) there may be a point where the music opens up. That is when I may consider throwing in a fill. This is a part that I usually do off the cuff or ad libbed. Of coarse, I have to be conscious of what everyone else is doing. If the guitar player, for instance, decides that he wants to throw some sort of fill in at the same point, I try to vary what I'm doing to compliment him so it doesn't sound jumbled.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    A good exaple is to go get dave mathews band dvd or video listener supported and watch steffan! He is awsome at fills! What i do is wright the song then i set my bass down for a bit and hum the song in my head till i figure out a good hum for a fill the i go back a learn that humm! Iam sure i sound like a dork in the house humming!