Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fills

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pereek, Jun 20, 2002.

1. ok our band is starting to write our own stuff. we try to get a old skool kinda sound without coping anyone. Anyway normally i do try to make a solid sounding bassline. Nothing too fancy. I'm a great fill lover but the band complain that it's too overpowering over the lead (fair enough point) i wanna know you guys got some counting techs to get my fills into the songs better. I don't know how the greats of the time did it but mine seem to stick out theres don't. Our songs are normally in 4/4 if that helps. Anything to do with timing, pitch or any advice you have found helpfull would be great.
    cheers

2. snoogin

snoogin

Jun 15, 2002
    Sioux city Iowa
    Have you ever noticed a guy who never shuts up, but has so little to say? For the love of god don't be that guy. Fills should come at the right moment in the right way, like a witty remark that makes people laugh or when you're trying to hit on some chick. I always look at my basslines as complimentary. I listen to what the rest of the band has to say and go from there. There's no right or wrong, just good and bad.

3. LeonSteward

LeonSteward

Feb 23, 2002
    England
    When you play fills - like the guy above said dont use them too much. Just play them at the end of every 4th bar of the verse or just before the chorus...also at the end of the song...if i get bored and im jamming with mates and practising some song i tend to a little fill at the end of the songs that i improvise each time...its quite effective and provides a great ending.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If you want a way to create fills, hammer on to the note 2 frets above the root note. Or for a bit fancier (i dont kno if this is too fancy) you could hammer on 2 notes above the root, and also an octave higher. Say if the guitarist plays a power chord and the root note is on G (3rd fret E string). play 5th fret A string. (NOT Open A) Slide up and play the same note above 12th fret.

I dont know if this was any help or not but other than that, just play around and see what you can do.

5. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Look for space: hopefully all the gaps aren't being filled by an egomaniacal guitarist who believes every open spot needs to be filled with dive-bombs, trills and 32nd note runs.

Say it with less: I'd rather get the point across with a solid 4 note fill than an unintelligible 8

Lock with the drummer: Some of the best fill have some interplay with drum breaks and riffs

Listen to the best: I don't mean rapid-fire guys. Bassists who can be busy, yet every thing they play WORKS. I don't know what you dig listening to but tune into John Entwistle or John Paul Jones. Those guys can play all over the board and come up smelling sweet.

Fills are part of the line: some guys have a knack for making their fills sound like they're from a completely different song. Don't be one of them. Try to look at building fills as an EXTENSION of the bassline, not an ADDITION.

Of course these are the opinions of a rocker. (and a root-bound one at that!)
    :D