1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Film of the Allied Forces and Japanese signing documents to end WWII

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    This historical film is the footage of the Allied Forces and Japanese signing documents to end the Pacific Theater of Operations of WWII.

If you are a history buff, you will find this interesting. General McArthur's voice is a
    rarity in these old film clips. This is an actual film made of the surrender ceremony of the Japanese to McArthur in Tokyo Bay in September 1945.

Japanese Sign Final Surrender 日本の降伏 - YouTube

sparkyfender2 likes this.
  2. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    Aboard the USS Missouri. Cool clip

I watch alot of History documentarys, one I saw recently talked about how MacArthur assigned the tallest MPs he could find to welcome the japanese delagates, all 6' 2" or more

sparkyfender2 likes this.
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Thanks for posting that. I had an uncle, Chief Warrant Officer James Campbell, who was on the Missouri and was on deck to see the ceremony.

4. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    I wonder if Dan Akroyd studied MacArthur as he very much sounds like him in the Blues Brothers movies.

5. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Nov 25, 2013
    Very cool!

6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I also read that he had over 1000 planes fly overhead during the same day that the surrender took place . Sounds like he wanted to flex some muscle.

7. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    Richland123,

Thank you my friend, it's good to see that again. A solemn moment indeed.

I've often wondered what thoughts the Japanese representatives might have had on this particular occasion.

I'd like to think it was something like..... "what the hell were we thinking..."

8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    That's exactly what one of the Japanese representatives was thinking. In the "World At War" documentary, Toshikazu Kase, The Foreign Minister's assistant, said that "As I looked at the giant ship, the thousands of sailors, and all the Allied officers, glittering with gold, I wondered how Japan ever thought they could defeat all those countries". He's the young man in the top hat, who comes on board the Missouri at about 2:08 in that film. And I think he was probably not the only one, either.:)

9. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    Thanks. It's nice to know that he had some sense after all...

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I love the way MacArthur sported a 50 mission crush.

Great as he was, he also learned that no matter how big you may be, you still have a boss to answer to.