Filmtex @Annual Halloween Party with HollidayMoon Oct 28th

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by filmtex, Oct 30, 2017.

1. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Now this was a party. I was invited last year but was already booked, this year my guitar player called me early enough so that I was able to get it on my calendar.
    This is a private annual event and this kind couple goes all out.
    The location is a private residence in the country about an hour south of Austin near New Braunfels, Tx. Our hosts had really gone all We were the opening act for a band that has been working in the area for 27 years and was nice enough to supply everything for us. This was the fifth time they had played this party and were nice enough to ask us to join them.
    I made the drive from my place in about two hours and met the other two guys just off the interstate and we were at the location in about five minutes. Here’s a shot looking through the main pavilion in the back yard. You’ll see the stage in the back left. There was a very cool green room behind the stage and two refrigerators on stage.
    IMG_0685.jpg
    Here’s another shot of the pavilion.
    IMG_0686.jpg
    Josh the bass player from Three Man Front was great to work with. In fact all three of the guys in the main act were fantastic and extremely helpful. Here they are just before sound check, our drummer James is just getting set up.
    IMG_0687.jpg
    Here's a few shots from the venue, these folks go all out for this party. It's their only party all year. They really love Halloween. This is the bar in the Pavilion right in front of the stage, which is actually the garage!
    IMG_0688.jpg
    Halloween ice chest. They had every imaginable beverage available too.
    IMG_0692.jpg I had to take a shot of the "koozy assortment", help yourself.
    IMG_0693.jpg

The facilities. Stand on the left, sit on the right.
    IMG_0694.jpg

Proving once again that you can only "rent" beer.
    IMG_0695.jpg
    VooDoo Lounge.

IMG_0697.jpg
    Check out the Menu.
    IMG_0698.jpg
    Here's James just before sound check. Full backline, PA and lights provided. I could have left my guitars at home too, Josh had a really fine '77 P that he offered to let me use. I brought my 2014 American Special and fretless Squire P so I used them. His rig was a GK 1001 RB and a 4 x 10 cabinet-I forget which one, but it sounded great. He fed everything with a SansAmp up front. I just plugged in and went for it, he had it sounding great right from the start.
    IMG_0689.jpg
    And Roy.
    IMG_0691.jpg
    Time for the show.
    BandOnStage1.jpg
    I like to keep things casual when I play. Life's too short...
    RickandJamessm.jpg
    Time for the obligatory food shots. And they had a bunch of it.
    IMG_0713.jpg I had the Jalapeno Pulled Pork and James had the Jamaican Jerked Pork, but truth be told, he went back for one of the Jalapeno Pulled Pork too!
    IMG_0714.jpg After we did our two sets, Three Man Front came up. They were a lot of fun and had a playlist that was fun for everyone too. From Pink Floyd to Tom Petty to Devo. I stuck around for their first set. Tonight they were playing as Three Blind Mice!

IMG_0718.jpg

And that was my Halloween this year. I hope they invite us back. Oh, and it was a paid gig too. All that and cash too. Doesn't get much better than that I guess!

UPDATED:
    I uploaded a couple audience videos this morning so I'll add them here. But first I need to correct an error. I completely forgot to give due credit to my band mates when I did the report yesterday.
    I am very, very lucky to have been given the opportunity to join these two players on stage.
    Roy is an incredible player with great equipment and an astonishing voice. He is also an accomplished songwriter. More to come on that front.
    James is by far one of the best drummers I've worked with. His five drum kits are top shelf, well maintained, tuned and travel in cases! He is a tireless worker learning the new material and staying up to date on the older tunes between gigs. He's the anti-drummer for sure in that he arrives early, has his own place to live and drinks water at shows-go figure. Just want to give credit where it is due.
    Here's the videos...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Great report. That's a heck of a back yard party. I had no Halloween gig this year. Yours was fabulous. Thanks for sharing. I do enjoy "plug-n-play" events.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

dbase and nixdad like this.
  3. I love good halloween parties and this one looks smashing!
    THANKS FOR PICS MAN!

dbase and nixdad like this.
  4. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    This is the first plg-n-play that I've done in a long time where the band members did sound, and they were awesome. Easily the most helpful group I've worked with in years.

Thanks Jimmy-it was fun.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    dbase, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Excellent report for an excellent gig. The hosts really know how to do a party. Good stuff :cool:

dbase likes this.
  6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Great gig report Mr. Filmtex... Thanks for the food shots also ... At first glance I thought you had an Ampeg SVT painted white.. but at closer look, it was a refrigerator ;) .. It looks to me that you were running a 4x10 with what head?

McG likes this.
  7. That's some hill country allright. Lovely area.

8. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Josh let me use his GK1001 (I believe) and it sounded great. In fact I’m picking up an Ampeg 810 refrigerator Saturday!

Sore Thumb and McG like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021