1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Filter effects.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fenderheavy, Apr 3, 2009.

1. fenderheavy

fenderheavy

Apr 3, 2009
    Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here, and need some direction. My band is doing some tunes now that require some effects. One example is "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails. Gotta nail that filter. Any ideas? Will the Line 6 X3 Live give it to me?

I don't mind spending some doh for good gear, but may want to hold back a bit on effects. Just need some direction.

Thanks!
    Mike

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I have no idea about the Line 6 - I've never tried it.

But in a very general sense, you are going to have a very hard time nailing that tone, simply because it's hard to cop a synth tone on a bass. The fuzz "bass" tone on the chorus and break/outro won't be as difficult but will still take some work.

But as far as getting close to that filter tone, my first guess would be the old Guyatone BR-2, but it's a little bassier and doesn't have that smooth break to it's envelope. Maybe an EBS Bass IQ (try Hi-Q mode). But again, it will be very difficult to "nail" that sound.

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    It looks like a difficult one to do, just because of the way the filter opens and closes through the loop. I don't think you could do it with an envelope-following pedal. You could perhaps get closer (no pun intended) with an LFO-controlled filter but then there'd be issues with keeping the tempo locked with your drummer.

I don't fancy your chances, frankly. :(

4. seacouch

seacouch

Apr 21, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    In order to make this work, the drummer will have to go.

5. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Well, if the OP is close to Davis, CA he could always borrow my new Little Phatty. For a small fee of course. :smug:

Yeah, I really think he's going to have to be satisfied with being in the same ballpark but not all that close or the only options are to (A) get a real synth or (B) drop that song from the setlist.

6. fenderheavy

fenderheavy

Apr 3, 2009
    Thanks for the tips! You guys are making me want to just play it on a synth. Where's the fun in that! HA!

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Maybe an expression controlled filter like the Moog or Pigtronix, or a wah might be better suited then?

8. fenderheavy

fenderheavy

Apr 3, 2009
    I think I'll be settling for as close as possible. Can't drop the song. The chicks dig it too much. I can use a synth, but I'd rather not carry another *thingy* to the gig. I'd use a mouth harp, if I thought I'd get close enough... I ain't proud!

9. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    The Moog LPF wouldn't do it by itself, even with expression control of cutoff. I think you'd almost need an envelope, BMS or something else before it to make that setup work.

The Pigtronix won't be in the same ballpark tone wise. I loved that pedal, but it doesn't have the right sound at all.

A wah would be in the "can get close to the tone, but can't nail the effect" category. A Dunlop 105q maybe.

Again, I think the OP basically has the three options I mentioned above.

10. fenderheavy

fenderheavy

Apr 3, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the tips. I was really hoping for this answer:

"Yeah Mike, buy this "***" and you'll nail that tone. It only costs $6.00".

But, I guess I have to earn it... AAAARRGHHHHH!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, why should you get off easy? Ever see what Justin MJ brings to a NIN gig? Insanity, and he doesn't even play bass on "Closer" ;)

12. fenderheavy

fenderheavy

Apr 3, 2009
    HA! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was wishing in one hand... :eek:

13. Try either the #46 MuTron III 'Down' or #64 MuTron III patches...try to edit them so they're not so damn quacky and you could get pretty close. Only use your neck pickup to take out most of the clicky treble and you should get close.

I wouldn't want to use a wah or other pedal that you'd have to ride constantly.

You want to be able to tell all the ladies the full width of the stage that you want to fxxk them like and animal...feel them from the inside, not be stuck rocking a wah pedal for five minutes.

14. fenderheavy

fenderheavy

Apr 3, 2009
    Ding Ding Ding DING!!!
    A bucket-o-beer goes to Mo'Phatt.

15. I prefer my bucketed beer to be Stone Smoked Porter, and my bucket to be some groupie's cleavage. Make that happen, 'kay.

After looking over the X3's capabilities, I might have to check it out. I was less than impressed with the Bass Pod Pro, and never got one of their floor units.

What are your impressions, other than trying to nail some NIN synth part? :smug:

16. fenderheavy

fenderheavy

Apr 3, 2009
    Well, I've never used it. However, one local bass player I respect uses one along with Phil Jones cabs, and LOVES it. He's a tweaker, and has simply the best tone (next to my PBass Relic). He doesn't use filter effects in it, though. As a matter of fact, he never uses ANY filter effects. Just chorus, reverb, octave...

17. Get on it, son!

I think it's a pretty cool piece of gear for home recording. I'm looking to dabble in guitar, and, well...I don't want to buy a vintage plexi head and a Vox something or other.

Seems like a bargain.

18. fenderheavy

fenderheavy

Apr 3, 2009
    I'm a guitar player of 30 plus years, and I play bass because there's a shortage of bass players who can sing in my town. For guitar, the Line 6 preamps are mediocre, and the effects are very good!

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They're better than mediocre for bass, but I've never been all that knocked out by them.

20. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    A meatball/clone will be your best bet as far as filters go. The Grinder shares many of the characteristics of what I hear in Closer, with the ability to dial in a very clean and crisp envelope that opens/closes when and where you please. You won't 'nail' that tone, but good enough for rock&roll for sure. Maybe a touch of overdrive, or cut highs or tone just a littttle and attack the g string harder than the low notes to brighten that note up, and mimic the video's filter sensitivity (whooBAPP) That's what got me closest to that tone right now, ymmv.-- If the POD has a meatball model, try that one out.