Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filter effects?????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Dec 27, 2000.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone knowb the difference between dynamic filters(i.e. bassballs,Q-tron)and envelope filters(i.e. MutronIII, DOD fx25)? Any help would greatly be appreciated since I'm at a loss as to which one to buy. I used to own the DOD version but it totally removed all the low end from my sound. Do all filters do this and which ones don't?

2. They are all basically the same thing, but some of them work better and sound better than others for bass. They all use a filter that opens or closes up or down depending on the attack and dynamic of a note. The EH BassBalls is my all time fave and it's a dandy fuzz for bass too, I would say go for the NYC reissue and not one of the imports.I also have a Q-tron that works well for Mutron III type sounds and also synth type sounds. Boss, Ibanez and a lot of other manufacturers have made envelope followers and there are some newer ones around that are pretty nifty and kinda hi tech. I plan to try the EBS when someone in town gets one.

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Brad, can you tell me what the difference is between the NYC model versus the russian made version so I might be able to spot one. I've heard nothing but great things about it and the Q-tron+ though.

4. The NYC is in the same brushed aluminum, wedge style box as the original, with the original silk screen design but has an added LED. It is maybe 10-20 bucks more but worth it. The sov version is all black with blue lettering. Check out musictoyz.com they have images and sound files of both posted as well as many other envelope followers.