Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filter help and advice?? Line 6 FM4 ?? Bassballs ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, Oct 11, 2002.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am looking around for a new filter. I currently have the EBS BassIQ and while it is a good filter, it isn't quite as wet and juicy as I would like. I am looking for a sound along the tone of Les Claypool on Purple Onion or on the Oysterhead album. I know he uses a Korg Toneworks multieffects pedal, but I don't really want or need a multi-effects, but I like the sound.

I've been curious about the Line 6 FM4 and wondering if it is any good with bass and if it could create those weird juicy filter sounds along with a mixture of others. Does anyone use it and if so do you have any samples?

My other consideration is the US EHX Bassballs. I know the sound it makes (not quite Les, but still kind of juicy and vowel-like). But they can be had for about $65 on ebay (a very appealling price).

My BassIQ is good and works for some things, but I want more liquid (I even try my Bassdrive in front of it and my Phase90 after it and I still am not 100% satisfied. Please give me your thoughts. I don't want to spend a ton of $$, but I want something that is easy to use and sounds good.

-KB

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Or how about the Line 6 Filter Modeler pro, the rack unit? Are those useful Live. Would I put it through the effects loop of my amp since it is rack mount?

Please give advice on all the above (FM4, Bassballs, Filter Modeler pro) as compared to BassIQ and for wet and juicy sounds.

-KB

3. Compared to the BassIQ the EH BassBalls is a lot warmer and slobbery. I had a bassiq for a while but found it a bit too sterile and dry for my needs. I use a DrQ and a BassBalls on my pedal board for the most versatility. Sure there are fancier envelope followers (I have a few) but for live I prefer simplicity.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have the EBS bassIQ along with almost every other filter pedal.......but the one I use is the Line 6, It gives me alot of sounds of the others without worring about one of the knobs moving when I setup.....it's also true by-pass;)

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    do you have any samples of your bass throught the FM4? Can you get those wet and juicy sounds through the FM4?

-KB